OS X "Tiger"

U

UnderOath

hey guys - yet another question...

if i buy an iBook this december, will OS X "tiger" come out right after i buy it and i already have to pay the money to upgrade the OS? Or will it be ON the computer by December? Anyone have any idea on this?

-M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Tiger certainly will NOT be on ANY Macs by December.

Tiger will be released in the first half of 2005. Traditionally they would sell Tiger separetley, and ship Panther on the macs for a small period of time. Then, once its been out for a short period of time, they will put it on the macs they are shipping

Correct me if i'm wrong?

OP
U

UnderOath

so how often do they update? is it as infrequent as microsoft? just getting a feel for how often i'm going to have to shell out the money to upgrade the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
tiger comes out march 31, 2005. I have the latest beta and its nice. since os x started, about every year, a new OS came out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
And the day they release tiger they begin to put the OS onto the computers they sell (most of them in the stores do not have tiger on them because they were manufactured before the release)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There was some talk some time ago, that after Tiger. Apple will slow down on the creation of major OS upgrades. Instead of every year, maybe every 18 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Usually, when a new OS comes out, there's an "up-to-date" program that gives $20 upgrades to the new OS for customers who bought a Mac (or a boxed OS upgrade to the previous version) less than a month before the new OS came out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
Is Tiger going to be worth the money? I've looked at some of the things that are "all the buzz" about it and it really doesn't seem that exciting... At least not exciting enough to pay the money... Is there really any great reasons to switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Well compared to the jump from Jag -> Panther, Panther -> Tiger is a much bigger improvement.

If you have a G5 it will be nice because of the G5 optimization and in general things will probably run faster. I am really interested in trying out Automater and Spotlight seems like a great search function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
Yaa tiger will be cool!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
OP
U

UnderOath

it says there's 150 new features.. if that's the case i dont see any reason NOT to upgrade!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I think they always say that ;)

But I will be upgrading since my entire workflow will hopefully be more efficient using spotlight... I love the way you can currently search from finder boxes, spotlight will hopefully be even better in that respect..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Macman said:
tiger comes out march 31, 2005. I have the latest beta and its nice. since os x started, about every year, a new OS came out.
The date has not been released so don't take March 31 as for sure. Until Apple gives a release date it could be any time between now and middle of next year.

And while updates have come out yearly, Apple announced at last years WWDC that they're slowing down OS releases so I would probably expect one every 1.5-2 years now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
when I had tiger installed, it was good, as far as dashboard, its a lot like konfabulator, just built into the OS. spotlight is great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
is dashboard customizable? and can you dock it on your desktop like konfabulator? because from the screen shots i saw, it looked like dashboard could only be accessed by using an f-key and that it was basically a clutter of a million things that i would never use.
tell me more about spotlight...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Just as a polite reminder here....

The only things allowed to be discussed about Tiger are things that have been made publicly available from Apple which can found at their official Tiger site.

Any other disclosure is not allowed on this board since it's covered by an Apple NDA.

Please click here for more details on our policy.

OP
Z

Zach_C

Apple does a lot of upgrades but don't let that scare you. They will slow down but it's a new OS also so frequent updates are expected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.