Stream Apple TV from External Harddrive???

Reaction score
Can you keep all of your movies on an external harddrive rather than your internal harddrive and still stream them to apple tv? I have a brand new imac 24 inch and my apple tv is hooked up through a network. Used to be able to do this on my pc and I am new to mac!!! Although I think that I have made the right choice!!

Reaction score
Can you explain how you did it? I haven't been able to figure out how to stream from an external HD.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
Can you keep all of your movies on an external harddrive rather than your internal harddrive and still stream them to apple tv? I have a brand new imac 24 inch and my apple tv is hooked up through a network. Used to be able to do this on my pc and I am new to mac!!! Although I think that I have made the right choice!!

In iTunes, in Preferences, select the external hard drive of your choice (or a folder you create in this drive) and select it as the new location for iTunes files. I guess this does the trick.

Today, I selected a folder I created in Time Capsule and iTunes synchronized my earlier iTunes folder into this new one, omitting to delete the old one. Since iTunes had already synchronized the whole of my .m4v movies into the hard drive of AppleTV, all my movies are now duplicated in 3 sets.

Seems like a lot. :) :) :)

Path to improvement ?

Can I delete the old folder ?

How do I do to avoid duplication ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.