Anyone have an internal drive expansion unit for their G5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, OS X V. 10.4.11 and iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS X 10.5.2
I'm considering buying a mac connect internal hard drive connection unit for my PowerPC G5 and am trying to figure out what is needed to install 2 TB drives in this thing and whether I need to use RAID system with new drives. I've tried emailing/calling manufacturer but no reply yet. My system admin person is going on vacation at the end of the week and I need to order asap so am posting here.

System offers an aluminum case for up to 3 drives, SATA cables, power cables, fan, PCI-X cards with 2 or 4 ports.

For adding 2 drives do I need PCI-X cards with 2 or 4 ports (what does this mean)?

I already have the original 250 GB drive in the machine and an additional 500 GB drive that I added about a year ago. If I add 2 more TB drives this way do I need to use RAID on the 500 GB + 2 TB drives? If so, at what level? Do I need additional hardware for this or is some sort of RAID software enough?

thanks for any help. most people around here have PCs running Linux!

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5, OS X V. 10.4.11 and iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo OS X 10.5.2
oops! does this question belong in "Other Hardware and Perifs"??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.