Adjust Dock size from the DOCK.. not the Sys. Prefs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Just thought I'd pass this along to any switchers here... I just found this myself by accident (it may be well known by others)... I am running Leopard, but it may also work in Tiger.

Previous to find this I always went into system Prefs. in order to adjust the size of the Dock... no longer.

You can Click/Hold on the dotted line separator (separates the apps from the folders, trash, etc.).

As you click/hold you can drag the dock size larger and smaller.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Umm, I thought everybody already knew this? ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Cool, nice find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
umm... thats what it always did...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Let the hazing begin!

To be honest I didnt know you could do it from system preferences as I always did it from the dock.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
ZOMG n00b here.

;)

dfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 inch. 2.4ghz
That's cool.... Thanks .....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Well it is new to me - THANKS Ride!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Let the hazing begin!

To be honest I didnt know you could do it from system preferences as I always did it from the dock.

Ditto. I would have thought switchers would go for the dock anyway seeing as that's how it is on Windoze... well, it is on the latest version I've used... 98.

dfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 inch. 2.4ghz
Hey SmART Guys... If we ALL NEW these things, then we would have no need for this Forum... Lighten up and get a grip.. Jest because some are experts, you were beginners too at one time..... Doncha knew........

dfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 inch. 2.4ghz
umm... thats what it always did...

UMMMMMMMM thanks for your contribution...........You are a GREAT help and all of us STUPID new Mac users should not have wasted your precious time with such trivia....

dfb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 inch. 2.4ghz
Umm, I thought everybody already knew this? ;P
I suppose the Rest of us are "nobodys'..... Some of us here, such as myself are BRANDNEW to the world of Mac... We used PCs.. I guess we should expect such a response from someone as knowledgeable as yourself, many in the PC world do describe Mac users as elitists and you just proved they are right...Hey guys, there are many finally getting unstuck on stupid and switching to Apple... Please try to leave the cashmere sweaters and the loafers at the door...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
I suppose the Rest of us are "nobodys'..... Some of us here, such as myself are BRANDNEW to the world of Mac... We used PCs.. I guess we should expect such a response from someone as knowledgeable as yourself, many in the PC world do describe Mac users as elitists and you just proved they are right...Hey guys, there are many finally getting unstuck on stupid and switching to Apple... Please try to leave the cashmere sweaters and the loafers at the door...

Please excuse some of the seemingly rude remarks. I can assure you they are sarcastic remarks directed at ride. This is because Ride has had a Mac for a while, and has been a member of these forums for a long time so it seems strange someone like him wouldn't know something simple like this. And it appears several other Mac users didn't recognize this either. So... you don't need to get so defensive about it. It's part of the friendly, joking community they have here.

As for me, the day I looked at my first Mac I found this out, but then again I'm sure there are things you know about it that I don't.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Please keep it civil in here.

Like Ogacon said, they were teasing Ride for not knowing this one way to resize the dock. Teasing is the word. They were not attacking you as a new user. I had forgotten that Dock resizing trick myself and have been a Mac OSX users for years.

So anyway, glad we could help you and don't take what was said personally. It was not directed at you new Mac people. Only way you will learn is ask!

Oh and just for the record, I am also a PC user. Use Windows daily along with OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I don't wear cashmere sweaters or own any loafers.... :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Hey SmART Guys... If we ALL NEW these things, then we would have no need for this Forum... Lighten up and get a grip.. Jest because some are experts, you were beginners too at one time..... Doncha knew........

UMMMMMMMM thanks for your contribution...........You are a GREAT help and all of us STUPID new Mac users should not have wasted your precious time with such trivia....

Guys... chill. Nobody's ribbing new mac users at all. Ride has 3246 posts - how new do you think he/she is?! Nobody's saying you're stupid or anything else - I don't think anybody even mentioned new mac users. So sorry if that's how it felt, but that wasn't how it was meant.

And cheers for the elitist comment. Nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.16ghz 2gb ram 250gb HD
there is nothing wrong with posting a tip. no matter how small! if one person in the world is helped by it, it was worthwhile

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.