Added 1GB RAM, not much improvement

M

mikee81

I added a 1GB stick to my powerbook 1.5, so now I have a total of 1.5gb of RAM installed. My computer also reads it but I don't see a difference in running programs like photoshop, inDesign, or illustrator. Is there such thing as bad memory even though the computer acknowledges it?

I thought I'd see a huge difference seeing as how I more than doubled my RAM. Should I exchange it, or am I being paranoid? Thanks for any help.

OP
C

Cloudane

Hmm, I'd have thought if it acknowledges it in About Mac and doesn't crash then it's functioning fine. It's mainly having a few apps open that uses RAM (try having more than 3-4 open on the stock 256) - what you're doing might be more processor-based or maybe it's using the hard drive a lot (which is slow on a Powerbook)

OP
Z

Zach_C

If it acknowledges it your fine. How many apps are you running at once and what processes in them are you doing. If you are just cropping and such I don't imagine there would be a big difference. One example is I can't really tell a big difference in photoshop between a few machines with what I do but Lightwave runs so much faster on the machine I upped the RAM in. It all depends on what you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
From what I've understood, once you get above a gig of ram, you really can't tell much of a difference. In many cases, even anything above 512mb isn't extremely noticable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
xwonderboy85x said:
From what I've understood, once you get above a gig of ram, you really can't tell much of a difference. In many cases, even anything above 512mb isn't extremely noticable.

I disagree here, I initially had 512MB RAM in my 17" flat panel iMac and recently upped it to 1GB and I noticed a huge difference. Especially when running Flash MX and Photoshop at the same time.

Not sure about the Powerbook but I think with OSX being RAM hungry, the more the merrier.

OP
L

Lasha

Yea, and also, if you really want to notice any realy difference, you have to be running and rendering multiple things at the same time. Cropping images, adding effects and those simple stuff will always remain simple...so, yea. That 1.5GB of RAM is OUTSTANDING! Awesome for multitasking the **** out of your Mac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
hmm... good to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
what brand of ram are you using.. i plan on getting ram (not from apple) at hte same time when i get my pbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, my mac originally came with 64 mb of RAM, it was slow, its now at 832 mb and upgrading soon again, it runs beautifully, with everal apps open at a time to, suitcase, illustrator, garageband, photoshop, itunes, its great. and thats on a 450 mhz g4 cube mind you:mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.