2 system folders

D

dasrock

too tired I can't remember...
can you run two system folder with different systems (9.2 and 8.6)
on an imac?
I remember something like tou can have two and boot up on either one once you set your start-up disk?
someone has to know....
thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yes, I believe you can have 2 boot up systems. Just go to your control pannels after you have your to folders in (pretty much copy and paste should work) and make your start up disk the other one :)

(im a rusty classic user)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
dasrock said:
too tired I can't remember...
can you run two system folder with different systems (9.2 and 8.6)
on an imac?
I remember something like tou can have two and boot up on either one once you set your start-up disk?
someone has to know....
thanks!

Graphite said:
yes, I believe you can have 2 boot up systems. Just go to your control pannels after you have your to folders in (pretty much copy and paste should work) and make your start up disk the other one :)

(im a rusty classic user)

Like graphite, if my memory serves me right. You can choose between system folder via the start up disk control panel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You can do it, but I wouldnt recommend it. In Classic when there are more than one system folders it gets confused.. it might work a couple of times, maybe even more than that, but eventually you will have problems. It's one of those bugs that was never worked out before they went to OS X

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Murlyn said:
You can do it, but I wouldnt recommend it. In Classic when there are more than one system folders it gets confused.. it might work a couple of times, maybe even more than that, but eventually you will have problems. It's one of those bugs that was never worked out before they went to OS X
System 8.6 will not work in OS X, the mininum I think is 9.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
yes but if u use 9.1 eventaully it will have problems, which is why they made 9.2+ to work better as a emulation.
But i think hes talking about running 8.6 as the OS not as an emulation of OSx...?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.