External Hard Drives

Reaction score
I have two external hard drives at my office. One is my personal one and the other is strictly work related. I just started working with a Mac Pro to edit video for my job. My problem comes in when I try to transfer files from the Mac to my work hard drive. Now I did use this hard drive on a PC before the Mac. The error message is "This device can not be modified". But it is not locked.

I would greatly appreciate any help!!!!!!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
I have two external hard drives at my office. One is my personal one and the other is strictly work related. I just started working with a Mac Pro to edit video for my job. My problem comes in when I try to transfer files from the Mac to my work hard drive. Now I did use this hard drive on a PC before the Mac. The error message is "This device can not be modified". But it is not locked.

I would greatly appreciate any help!!!!!!

Thanks

What format is the drive in. The Mac can read several formats that it cannot write to hence the error message.

Is it by chance formatted to NTFS? Try using FAT32

ADDED:

I am clearly going completely mad, when I clicked on this I thought there was no reply! Then I posted it and you have had the right answer!

I'll go away now....

ADDED:

I came back.... I know why I missed the replies that advert thingy after the first post !!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.