dumb question..... dual cpu vs. one cpu-on a G4 MDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
++24" imac 3ghz / may-08+ ibook G3-500mhz-10g-384m-12", nov-07 +G4 quicksilver 867 mhz/512MB july/08
thinking of a MDD desktop a G4 model.....

now, is a dual cpu faster>?

I am using it for documents, spreadsheets, music and internet surfing.

basic stuff, no CAD or modeling or video editing.

so, am I ok with a single CPU MDD?

or will I notice a difference with a dual CPU?

thanks,

al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
If surfing and email is the game you will not see the difference. IF you do design, render or anything CPU intensive you will see the difference. If you have not bought - remember that the CPU must be faster than 867 to be able to load Leopard or you will be stopped from further OS upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
yeah, only certain applications use dual processors (i.e. photoshop, or 3D rendering apps).

Reaction score
If surfing and email is the game you will not see the difference. IF you do design, render or anything CPU intensive you will see the difference. If you have not bought - remember that the CPU must be faster than 867 to be able to load Leopard or you will be stopped from further OS upgrades.

Really?
I knew some of that, but I thought OSX in general really benefited from a dual CPU. Does it?
I never really read into HOW it benefits, i just figured 2 cpus are better than one.

Now I'm not as nervous about considering a cpu upgrade that isn't dual since I really only do surfing/email/iTunes, light light photoshopping sometimes.

Good to know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.