fricken uni firewall

G

gab1982

Hi I have recently got to university and the firewall is annoying me i cant aaccess aim i cant access ichat and i cant play games is there anyway i can disable the firewall when i go to the mac osx firewall settings its disabled and it says if i want to enable it then i have to disable the current firewall which is running, i never did install any software to get the internet working , i just plugged in the adsl lead so basically i want full control over this firewall by disabling it and enabling or disabling the apple osx one when needed.

thanks
Graham Barnes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
System preferences, sharing. As the Admin user you can make changes there

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't think it is your firewall that is causing the problem. It is possible that the university is blocking very thing at their firewalls.

OP
G

gab1982

rman said:
I don't think it is your firewall that is causing the problem. It is possible that the universary is blocking very thing at their firewalls.

yes its at the uni end but isn't there app it installed on my mac which i can remove or disable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
gab1982 said:
yes its at the uni end but isn't there app it installed on my mac which i can remove or disable?

Nope they are blocking everything through some of their own hardware or their own software so there is nothing you can do about it

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The university is blocking various ports at their routers, gateways, bridges and whatever devices they are using to build their network.

Which makes it hard for the end user.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.