3rd Party Monitor problems

R

raveygravey

I just got an old 1st generation G4 tower to tinker around on. I know it was working fine before. The first thing I did was try to fire it up on a Dell flat panel and, although I get the chime etc, I get no signal to the monitor. I switched it back to an older CRT and same difference, no signal. Does anyone know if the older machines graphics cards in these machines can't handle and will get screwed up by the new flat screens? Does anyone have any other suggestions? :confused:

OP
S

sivp

I'm not 100% sure that your video card can screw up becuase you connected a old or uncompatible monitor, i do know however, that some monitors dont show properly using apple configurations.

A good monitor to use with apple are one's with an Auto-config button. The montior will automatically configure it'self based on resolution and screen size to show properly.

Even older monitors with autoconfig should work. I bought my flat panel monitors when LCD's just came on the market. A 17" screen was like $1,100.00, but to this day they are working no matter what.. If something isn't right, i just hit the auto button and it sets itself straight..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.