Is my brand new mac already obsolete?

Reaction score
As some of you know, I just got a brand new boxed mid-2007 2.16Ghz blackbook. It has the slower video processor and can only access up to 3 gigs of RAM. Is it already out of date? Should I have bought a newer macbook?

I was thinking about either upgrading the RAM to 3 gigs (with 2 gigs x 2), or selling this machine on ebay--honestly, I'd rather not do that because I've fallen in love with this thing. Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
technology is always getting better. I say just enjoy your macbook and dont worry about it.

How much RAM do you have in it? do you really need 3 gigs or do you just want it to say you have it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The thing is there will always be another newer system. If one keeps waiting they will never own their Mac as something new is always around the corner. As long as it works well for you, just enjoy it! It's a great machine.

I bought my iBook JUST before the Core Duo Macbooks came out. I could have waited but needed a notebook. It would have been nice but this one does what I need it to do.

OP
L
Reaction score
I want at least two gigs. I'm going to college for engineering, and I probably should have some extra for those demanding programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have a late 2006 black Macbook with 2.0GHz and 2GB of RAM and it's still quite fast for everything I do on it.

Just throw in as much RAM as you can afford and you'll be set for quite some time.

Reaction score
As some of you know, I just got a brand new boxed mid-2007 2.16Ghz blackbook. It has the slower video processor and can only access up to 3 gigs of RAM. Is it already out of date? Should I have bought a newer macbook?
I'm not sure how something from mid-2007 can be "new".. Does Apple still sell them like this?

I guess it depends on how much you paid for it. If you got a good deal, and it works for you, save your cash and enjoy your laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Things go obsolete extremely quickly in this age. My HP laptop was replaced 3 weeks after I bought it. I was a little bummed but it still does everything I need it to. So its not obsolete to me. I consider something obsolete when you cant find an OS that will work on it anymore.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm not sure how something from mid-2007 can be "new".. Does Apple still sell them like this?

No, at my local Apple dealer, they had this macbook for 879.99 and I had to snatch it up. It was sitting in their storage room for a good 8 months I guess.

T

tux08902

I really don't think any Mac is obsolete. Apple supports their platform very well, so they ensure longevity. I'm sure that machine will serve you very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Nope...it's not truely out of date until you can't do what you need to do on it. I am still running my iBook G4 as much as my MacBook Pro and they both do what I need them to do.

But that's just my $0.02

Cheers

Reaction score
I would say you have QUITE Some time before your Mac is obsolete!
My PowerBook G3 on the other hand........

OP
L
Reaction score
So do you think I have at least three years or so on it? That's about how old my previous laptop was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
"Obsolete" is subjective. Does your beloved Mac still do what you want it to do? You can always upgrade the ram if you want and this always helps speed things up a bit. However, I wouldn't allow myself to start feeling disappointed with my computer just because there are newer, faster models available. Apple updates their hardware pretty often so, if you allow yourself to adopt this attitude, you'll be feeling this way fairly regularly.

OP
L
Reaction score
Alright, I'll upgrade the RAM and continue snuggling with my MB. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Sometimes i still use a pen and paper... is that obsolete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Pen and paper? What's that? ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Latest rev. Macbook in white :)
I guess he means like a drawing board for the computer, couldn't be the old ink/papyrus stuff!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
1. Yes it is obsolete.
2. Sell it now.
3. Buy a newer one.
4. Ask if it is obsolete.
5. When the answer to 4 is YES, then return to 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.