Sold iBook and need to format HD - HeeLP!

Reaction score
Hello all,

Ive just sold my iBook, and need to erase the HD, but my CD drive doesnt work!

Also, this iBook is running 10.3, and I don't have the original OS CD, I do have a 10.4 though..

However, since I can't use the Disk Utility CD reboot thing, is there any other way I can erase the HD and reinstall a new OS?

I have another iBook and Powerbook, is there a way I could hook the iBook up to one of these, preferably using a ethernet cable as thats all I have :S

Failing that, is there a way I can just wipe the HD..? I would like to reinstall the OS but its not a must..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
The only thing I can recommend would be to buy a firewire cable (firewire to firewire), connect the ibook to one of your other macs via this cable, then start up the ibook in target disk mode (command+t).

That'll make your ibook an external hard drive enclosure and let you format via your other mac's disk utility.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, someone recommended that, I used to have one of those cables :(

Unfortunately I have to send this out tomorrow, is there any way to just wipe clean the HD? I read somewhere about doing this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk0s10 (or HD name)

Will this clear the HD?

Reaction score
i';m having the same problem-- i have my 2 ibooks hooked up via firewire but i'm not seeing the old ibook as a hard drive on my ibook g4 desk top

what am i doing wrong?
please help!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When booting up the OLD ibook, hold down the T Key after the startup sound. You will see a Firewire symbol on the screen of the old ibook.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.