Time Capsule... a few questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
Hey all,

I am looking to buy a time capsule for my home network however have a few questions first.

1) I understand its main feature is seemless backups, however i would use more of an NAS system, as i want to mainly use this to stream files, can this be done? i.e could it house my movie and music collection for access by all on my network!?

2) Can it work with 10.4 as im still tigering my PBG4? obviously time machine wont.

3) Can you access its contents remotely as its connected to the internet?!

Cheers for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive
Yes you can stream media from TC . Yes you can use TC as a NAS with Tiger. Yes you can access the content remotely, atleast thats what she said but i never tried it myself.

Actually streaming media is great from TC but just like any other NAS you should place the TC in a good/central location so the media wont be choppy.

From this discussion, it seems you can access TC remotely.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6805624

Reaction score
Yes, you can definitely access it from the web. (You can also change the configuration via the web) We have quite a few Time Machines sitting in our center behaving as remote AFP drives.

Of course, all you'd need is a static ip or some DynDNS action.

OP
cknight88
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
thanks guys. extremely good to know! I think you've just made me want one even more, if that was possible!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.