Safari Doesn't Start

Reaction score
Two days ago I used Safari as usual, surfing the Internet and looking up webpages.
Then I stumbled upon a finance and budgeting program called Buddi, which I downloaded from Apple's official webpage.
I did not find it useful, so I deleted it again and at this moment Safari still worked.
But now comes the tricky part of the story.
I turned off my computer, but later that evening, when I turned it on again and clicked the Safari-icon and it started jumping as usual and the little blue icon appeared, but nothing happened. Safari did not start and when I right clicked the icon, it said that the program did not respond, so I forced a shutdown of it.
I tried to run it several times, but without luck.
I have even tried to reinstall Safari, but again without any luck.
So now I am using Firefox to gain access to the Internet, but I rather use Safari.
I do not know what to do.
Could it have something to do with Buddi?
I ran a spyware and antivirus program, just to be sure it had nothing to do with that.

Please help me!
_____
I use a MacBook Pro & Leopard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't know anything about Buddi but I am wondering if somehow it installed a plugin or something in Safari and that is causing your issues? I will search around and see if I can find a connection. Will let you know if I do.

I did some reading on Buddi and it wants the latest Java installed. Did you have to install a version of Java? Trying to figure out how Safari got messed up.

Edit: I installed Buddi. I messed with it a bit and closed it and shut down. Safari still launches just fine. Is that the only thing you installed? Just Buddi?

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Buddi but I am wondering if somehow it installed a plugin or something in Safari and that is causing your issues? I will search around and see if I can find a connection. Will let you know if I do.

I did some reading on Buddi and it wants the latest Java installed. Did you have to install a version of Java? Trying to figure out how Safari got messed up.

Edit: I installed Buddi. I messed with it a bit and closed it and shut down. Safari still launches just fine. Is that the only thing you installed? Just Buddi?

No I did not install any version of Java, because I had already one installed.
And I did not install any other programs, just Buddi.

Could it be some kind error in Safari? But then it should help to reinstall it, but it did not! :Grimmace:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am wondering if the PList file for Safari could have gotten corrupted.

You can delete the com.apple.Safari.plist file that is in Username/Library/Preferences. Just a warning though as you will loose some settings in Safari, but that has worked for some with application not starting issues. I figured it can't hurt at this point unless someone else can think of something else.

Be sure Safari is not running at all if you do delete that plist file. Then launch Safari and see if it comes up.

Do you have more than one user account? If you do switch to the other account and see if Safari works there.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes I have tried to delete the relevant .plist file, but that did not help.

Now I have created a new user, and Safari works when I am logged on with my new user.

But there must be a way to make Safari work on my old account?

OP
S
Reaction score
Actually it did help deleting the com.apple.Safari.plist. - file, but I forgot to restart Safari the first time I tried it, but the second time I did and it worked.
I know that one was a newbie fail! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.