basic newb questions

U

UnderOath

okay - my PC's in my home network run MSN Premium 9 - obviously the Macs run Safari. My question is: will i be able to run safari with the dsl router that i currently have on my server PC?

I also want to be able to run messenger programs (msn, aim)

i will be able to do all this right? im not worried about losing msn, just wondering if i can access internet thru safari with the router that we have on the PC... im not sure if this makes sense.. hopefully it will.

Reaction score
From the DSL modem (or router) isnt there a network cable running from that to the PC? You should just be able to run another cord from your router, or moden right to the mac. I think it should configure the internet its self. Im jsut guessing form what i heard... i dont have a mac... good luck!

Reaction score
A router is a router, as long as it has an ethernet plug in it, it'll probably work.

OP
M

m1k

okay - my PC's in my home network run MSN Premium 9 - obviously the Macs run Safari. My question is: will i be able to run safari with the dsl router that i currently have on my server PC?

I also want to be able to run messenger programs (msn, aim)

i will be able to do all this right? im not worried about losing msn, just wondering if i can access internet thru safari with the router that we have on the PC... im not sure if this makes sense.. hopefully it will.

Hey,

Yeah, you just connect your router and your Mac with an ethernet cable, and your Mac does the rest. It doesn't matter what you use on your Windows PC. I run my DSL router through a wireless router, and then back to the computer, and internet works on my PC and on my Mac. Easy as pie :)

MSN has a chat client for Mac OS X that you have to download, it's quite good. As for AIM, OS X comes with iChat, which allows you to add AIM contacts. It's excellent.

Your internet should work fine on both computers, Macs rock!

Good luck with your new iBook, they rock!

OP
U

UnderOath

m1k said:
Hey,

Yeah, you just connect your router and your Mac with an ethernet cable, and your Mac does the rest. It doesn't matter what you use on your Windows PC. I run my DSL router through a wireless router, and then back to the computer, and internet works on my PC and on my Mac. Easy as pie :)

MSN has a chat client for Mac OS X that you have to download, it's quite good. As for AIM, OS X comes with iChat, which allows you to add AIM contacts. It's excellent.

Your internet should work fine on both computers, Macs rock!

Good luck with your new iBook, they rock!

yeah that's what i figured.. i knew i could connect it directly with the ethernet, but i was wondering if i could do it wirelessly? i didnt want to be confined to the router... :D

Reaction score
UnderOath said:
yeah that's what i figured.. i knew i could connect it directly with the ethernet, but i was wondering if i could do it wirelessly? i didnt want to be confined to the router... :D

Is your router a wireless router? If it is then you will have no problem getting a mac to work with it as long as it is 802.11b or 802.11g. Apple doesn't use some wierd proprietary wireless card, it is all just 802.11g which is backwards compatible with 802.11b, both very widely used stadards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, wireless is ludicrously simple on the Mac. If you are set up to have your router assign IPs on your network, just select Airport and DHCP in the Macs network control panel and you'll be good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
" Apple doesn't use some wierd proprietary wireless card,"

Actually the internal card on newer macs is a proprietary form-factor. You can't put a airport extreme card in your Dell for example..

But the technology is standard, which means all cards work together using standard protocols.

So for the original question: Yes it will work.

Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Actually the internal card on newer macs is a proprietary form-factor. You can't put a airport extreme card in your Dell for example..

Yeah, I guess most laptop parts are non-standard if you think about it, but I was really just refering to the fact that apple's wireless card use the 801.11 standard.

OP
U

UnderOath

thanks all. yeah im just running a wireless-enabled router, so im thinking by all of your comments that my new addition should be ready to go! thanks for the help everybody. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.