Programs used to rip audio from video?

Reaction score
Hey, I've been trying to find software (preferably free) that can rip audio from mp4 video files. A friend of mine sent me a video, and I want the song that is playing in the backgrnd.

I know programs that work on Windows, but now I have a macbook pro and I can't seem to find any programs that work with os X. Does anyone know of any?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook running OSX Leopard.
u can rip audio from a video file in garageband...not sure of which video formats it will support...if it won't load the mp4, then load it into iMovie into a new project and click Publish>Media Browser, then u should be able to load it into garageband and delete the movie track and then click Publish>iTunes from garageband...

kit

Reaction score
garageband won't load mp4's and I can't get the movie into garageband following your method... any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
Wiretap is a program that I use. Its great and you can tap any audio that is playing out of your speakers. Its great. Hope that I can help.

Download.com usually has a lot of "shareware". Its category specific and OS specific so finding utilities like that is a sinch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
Audio Hijack works great as well... I've been using it for ages without any problems. It can rip audio from anything that comes out of your speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.0 GHZ 10.6.1
Wiretap is a really nice tool. Thanks you guys.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you have QuickTime Player X (already on recent Macs) do the following.

1. Open the video using QuickTime Player X
2. From the File menu choose Export
3. In the next Window name the file and use the export format drop down to set format to Audio Only.

I also find MPEG Streamclip extremely easy to use for this and it is free as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.