Replacing G5 DVD-R???

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a G5 dual processor that has the Pioneer DVD-R that is beginning to act up. We want to replace it with a more up-to-date drive like the Sony DRU840A. Every DVD-R we consider has a certain number of bad user reviews, but this one seemed like it was favored a little bit more.

Does anyone know if this drive is compatible, if it has the right connectors, if it is supported in Tiger, if there are any issues, or if there is another drive that's a better choice?

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a good look at the Pioneer DVD-RW , DVR-115D DL 20X burner which is a fit and play drive. They are as cheap as chips. Recently purchased one here in Australia for $39.00.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks. I understand what you're saying, but that drive has received some mixed reviews. I guess I'm partial to the Sony unless anyone knows a reason not to be. ???

Also, I've never customized a Mac. Would any EIDE drive like the Sony drop in and be recognized? Does it need drivers? Anything else?

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.