Wont copy large file error code 0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
My friend is trying to copy 13gig 10gig and 4.1gig .mov files from the internal hard drive on his MBP to an external USB hard drive. All other types of files transfer fine, except for those three, which won't copy and just say error code 0. He can even transfer other .mov files. the MBP is running 10.5.1. Any insight?

Reaction score
What format is the external drive in? If is FAT32 then you can only write files up to 4 GB in size. If that's the case you'll need to reformat the drive to HFS+.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
I'm having the same problem with a few of my old imovie projects and I really need the space. :(

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Like AlyciaAnimation asked, what is the external drive formatted as?

Reaction score
Alright I have a 1tb hard drive from acondata and I was having issues with transferring over 4gb. So i reformatted the drive and now i am able to transfer big amounts of data.

Heres my question, I was doing this because I was hooking up my hard drive to my Samsung LED tv to play bluray movies, but now the tv wont read the hard drive, what do I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which Samsung TV do you have that has the capability to read hard drives?
Model number?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Which Samsung TV do you have that has the capability to read hard drives?
Model number?

Regards.

my Samsung TV does that as well (don't know the model number, i'll get back to you on that one but i'm sure any of the higher range Samsungs have the function), it's great. not only does it conveniently play any movie format including MKV (which my ps3 doesn't) straight from the hard drive it also improves the quality of the movie your watching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have the same problem with the error 0 on both sides of my partitioned hard drive fat32 and the mac side, i found that i need to have an large amount of space free on my hard drive for the file to copy, e.g. i was getting the error message when copying a 11 gig bluray file when i only had 20gigs free space but when i deleted a few file and had 80gigs space free it worked fine, would the same process work for the fat32 side or is it stuck to that 4gig figure? (i haven't been able try my theory because i only partitioned of 30gigs to be fat32)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It won't matter how much free space is on the drive if it's formatted to FAT-32. The maximum single file limit for FAT-32 is ~4 GB.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright I have a 1tb hard drive from acondata and I was having issues with transferring over 4gb. So i reformatted the drive and now i am able to transfer big amounts of data.

Heres my question, I was doing this because I was hooking up my hard drive to my Samsung LED tv to play bluray movies, but now the tv wont read the hard drive, what do I do?

download the program mkvtoolnix, its a program that amongst other things will cut it into as many smaller mkv files as you want, you choose the size of the splits.

btw how do you deal with the self extracting .exe files for the samsung tv firmware updates with a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
necro thread alert!

Quote above from Dec. '09

Reaction score
End Around...

I located the files above 4G and copied everything else... the large files were not needed in my case...

Reaction score
Resolution

Using Mac, use the finder to search DISK UTILITY. Select the USB disk drive/ EXT harddrive you want to reformat to allow for larger file transfers, and chose Erase, OS Extended (Journaled) and chose Erase. This will reformat your USB stick and allow for larger files to be transferred. A more detailed explanation can be found here: How to format a drive or partition with the HFS+ file system

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Thanks. However, the OS Extended (Journaled) format does not work for my USB stick. Neither my 2011 Samsung TV or my PS3 recognized the USB stick.

Only one that seems to work is MS-Dos(Fat) which allows me to copy files up to about 4gb to my USB and play them via TV or PS3. Before this I was only able to have about 1gb files on my USB.

I'm still unable to copy files larger then 4gb AND have my TV or the PS3 recognize the USB stick without having to split the files. Seems silly that this can't be done or at the very least is difficult to do.

Reaction score
Using Mac, use the finder to search DISK UTILITY. Select the USB disk drive/ EXT harddrive you want to reformat to allow for larger file transfers, and chose Erase, OS Extended (Journaled) and chose Erase. This will reformat your USB stick and allow for larger files to be transferred. A more detailed explanation can be found here: How to format a drive or partition with the HFS+ file system

Enjoy!

:Cool: Worked like a charm! Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.