Mail app: advance to next message function?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
Hi everyone,

Is there some command or keyboard shortcut to advance or go back a message from the one currently being viewed, or a way to configure Mail so that the next message is opened when you delete the one currently being viewed? This is a function I've gotten used to and like from Outlook and online mail apps like hotmail. I don't see it anywhere in the app or and a web search has turned up zilch.

Thanks in advance for you help! I'm still getting used to "the mac way:)"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hi everyone,

Is there some command or keyboard shortcut to advance or go back a message from the one currently being viewed, or a way to configure Mail so that the next message is opened when you delete the one currently being viewed? This is a function I've gotten used to and like from Outlook and online mail apps like hotmail. I don't see it anywhere in the app or and a web search has turned up zilch.

Thanks in advance for you help! I'm still getting used to "the mac way:)"

Last I checked, simply pushing the up or down arrow button did this... and when you delete a message, I think it goes to previous one. I'm not sure it's possible to work around that one unless you simply reverse the order your mail is being listed in.

OP
riverteeth
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
I should probably clarify: I mean go to the previous or next message from the one currently open. The arrow keys only work from the inbox view, for scrolling up or down message titles / subjects. I've tried command "up" and option "up", but these don't work either. And when I close or delete a message, Mail doesn't perform any additional action by default (at least for me:)).

Reaction score
Um, why don't you just read your emails from the "inbox view" instead of opening each message in its own window. (If I'm understanding you correctly)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I don't think what you're talking about exists in Mail.app, sadly. Apple seems to want the user to take a "one window per message" approach with the message window. You could always AppleScript, of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.