Upgrade from 9.3 to 10.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Tower
Why cant i upgrade my 700 imac from 9.3 to 10.4? is there something im not doing? :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I think the iMac is beyond the Leopard update. You have to have a G4 with a minimum of 867mhz to be able to load Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep you ain't got a fast enough machine as Chilbear says limit is 867MHz processor. Do you mean 9.2.2 as that was the last Classic OS issued.

Suggest you give Tiger 10.4.11 a whirl.

Reaction score
Let's run through a couple things here, the 700 MHz iMac is capable of running 10.4 (Tiger) but it can't run 10.5 (Leopard). The last version of System 9 was 9.2.2 not 9.3 (doesn't matter!). Now, there was one G3 700 MHz iMac, which model do you have? What color is the Tiger install DVD? And does your iMac have a DVD player? What is the error message you get or does it just freeze to death?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I think there is some confusion in this post. Two people replied saying you cannot upgrade to Leopard, but 10.4 is not Leopard.

Now 10.4 is the 1st Tiger release to support Intel, did the Tiger disc come with a MacBook or MBP? If so, this will be your problem, you must purchase a retail version of Tiger.

If it is a full retail version, then can you post more details of the error?

OP
MacForever
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Tower
Thanks everyone,the discs are grey and they say Emac on them, and yes i dont have a dvd player on this, when i put the discs in, they just come right back out about 7 seconds later.......hey i got this for free all i had to do was buy a power cord ;D :D :D :)

Reaction score
Firstly, the grey discs you have with eMac on them will not work with the iMac. The grey discs are model specific and only work with the computer that it came with.

Secondly, when you buy a retail (black) Tiger disc it'll be a DVD. In order to install it on you dvd-less mac you'll need to either use an external dvd drive or put it in Target disc mode and connect it to another mac that can read dvds.

Good Luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As others have advised either get an external DVD, or search for Tiger discs on CD which Apple released for eMacs such as yours. From memory I think there were six CD's to the set.

Look at such places as eBay etc. for a set.

OP
MacForever
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Tower
Thanks fellas, you've been a great much needed help, cheers :) :) :) :)

Reaction score
Although this is a problem for you, I do think it's amazing and shows how stable Apple is. You're just now upgrading from a pretty old OS and have been happy to this point! Just shows how superior Apple is. So cool.

Matthew Fauris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.