I have "some" questions.

X

X Im just meE o

Hi. I am new to this forum, and I am thinking about getting a new laptop. Probley a Ibook G4, or a PowerBook G4. Im not to sure.
Can you please tell me which one you think is best for me?
I would probley just use it for writing, internet, and the basics, and some saving of pictures, music..... Dvd watching/ maybe burning and Cd player/ burner. If you have a link to the site it is hosted on, plase post it.
And most of all, I want it for travel, but im thinking the 12' is way too small. The 14" is.... Eh..... But they don't have anymore to choose from in size, so, a powerbook, a 15" inch? Does it realy matter an extra inch? I heard on a smaller one, it just makes it alittle bit smaller.... I also want it to be able to run a sum of programs at once, and not be limited to 1 or 2... I also want it to be speedful, it says for the
Ibook 1.33 GHz, etc, but im probley going to customize it if I get the Ibook. I know I can't customize the processor, but I mean, the Memory/RAM and Hard drive, to make it faster? Any idea's or useful information on getting a new Ibook?
Plus, I don't realy like the way the Power book G4 is, I like the white iBook G4. ^___^ Thanks for reading, buh byez.

You can E-mail me at X Im just meE [email protected] or jsut post it below. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
id say go ibook, the extra inch on the 15 nch pbook isnt orth the money, its still the same res/number of pixels, they all have combo drives or super drives, so you can burn stuff on either, as far as running apps, you cant crash mac os x, I have a 450 mhz g4 cube and have had more than 10 to 15 proccessor intensive apps (like illustrator, photoshop, suitcase, and others) running simultaneously, its a mac, you dont have to worry about that.as far as ram, the more the better in any case. plus, the g4 ibook comes with airport(for wireless internet) and bluetooth(for wireless devices: mouse, keyboard, cellphone, etc). so itll be great no matter which you get.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...PxSFm1PlgNIcu/0.0.11.1.0.6.21.1.1.1.0.0.0.1.0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I think the iBook is a great buy right now. However, let me tell you what my thoughts were, as I was in the same boat as you.

I initially setup to order a custom 14 iBook from the local Apple Store with upgrades to the RAM and HDD. Then I got to thinking on how long I would have the laptop. I already have a 17" flatpanel 1.25GHz iMac that I simply love for my desktop machine but needed something portable in addition to this to use when I travel (about 40% of the time). This laptop is something that is going to have to last me a good 3-4 years so read on for my reasons.

I ended up going with the 15" PowerBook for the following reasons:

1. I was able to upgrade the videocard to 128MB for only $90 -- this is helpful so in 2-3 years I'm not worrying about graphic intensive programs.

2. I was able to upgrade the Hard Drive to 80GB which is going to be useful for all the web design stuff I do along with having movies and music with me on the road.

3. The capability to properly use an external monitor if I desire which will likely come in handy when I'm in the office as opposed to the iBooks ability to just mirror the resolution.

4. The capacity of RAM in the PowerBook is also higher which will help if problems come up a couple years down the line.

These were just a few of the personal reasons I went with the PowerBook over the iBook, it was a tough decision all the way though as the iBook is a fine machine.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

OP
U

UnderOath

i'd say go with the iBook, for what you're using it for it's almost not worth paying the extra money for the powerbook in my opinion. just a thought. i'm getting an iBook here shortly, and am very excited about it!

Reaction score
Macman said:
id say go ibook, the extra inch on the 15 nch pbook isnt orth the money, its still the same res/number of pixels

The 15in powerbook has a resolution of 1280x854, which is higher than the iBook's 1024x768. It is a little bit nicer but not worth the extra money, the iBook is definantly the laptop to get right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Unless you need the extra screen size and features: get the iBook, but upgrade the harddrive when you order it from apple...

60gigs is enough, 40 is pushing it for me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
mynameis said:
The 15in powerbook has a resolution of 1280x854, which is higher than the iBook's 1024x768. It is a little bit nicer but not worth the extra money, the iBook is definantly the laptop to get right now.
I meant the resolution/amount of ixels on screen is the same between the 12 and 14" ibook. :)

OP
C

code777

from the sales kid's mouth at the Apple Store, "We have been selling the 12" iBooks like hot cakes. Its the hottest laptop we sell at this time. The powerbook is at a standstill ever since the new version of the iBooks were released. If you are only going to use a laptop for general stuff such as surfing the 'net, word processing, watching DVDs, iTunes/iPod, even some games then save money and buy a 12" iBook. If you are a professional then the Powerbook is a must."

Well he said something to that effect. Go with the iBook, its an incredible value right now. Also the 17" iMac G5 for $1300 is a good deal!!! I went mac crazy and just got the 1.8 version!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.