G4 adding 320Gb Hard drive and installing 10.5

Reaction score
I have a few questions on installing a second Hard drive in my G4 Mirror drive.

1) I installed a Seagate 320Gb in the Ata 66 bay and I only read it as 298 Gb available. I've reformatted the disk in OS extended. How can I get all 320Gb to show.

2) My original drive is fine, but it's only 80Gb and I want some more room. What would be the best configuration for both hard drives for a Graphic Designer who uses Photoshop and InDesign heavily. I will also be upgrading to Leopard in the near future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes 298 is about right down 7-10%. You will not get the 320 ever to show. Do a Google search and it will all be explained. For starters explaining loss of GB with formatting, have a look at this link:-

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f138/format-size-loss-236367/

Obviously your G4 can handle the over 128GB HDD size, as you do not give the model. As you state you will be using Photoshop and InDesign, if you have a MDD why not set it up with multiple HDD and/or an external?

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes 298 is about right down 7-10%. You will not get the 320 ever to show. Do a Google search and it will all be explained. For starters explaining loss of GB with formatting, have a look agt this link:-

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f138/format-size-loss-236367/

Obviously your G4 can handle the over 128GB HDD size, as you do not give the model. As you state you will be using Photoshop and InDesign, if you have a MDD why not set it up with multiple HDD and/or an external?

Thanks for the info on the hard drive size.

My second question is, how should I set this up? I have an 80gb in the ata 100 bay. Should I install the "320Gb" in the ata 66 or set it up in the ata 100 carrier as a slave? Is there a configuration that will maximize the use of the drive, ie back up/storage and/or scratch disk.

If you haven't guessed; I'm new to upgrading hardware.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest setting up the 320 as the master drive and using the 80 in an external case with Firewire as USB, even USB 2 is too slow. Install leopard on the 32w0 and make a bootable copy on the external using SuperDuper or some such.

hen if you need more HDD space, add additional 320/500 as slave drives.

OP
K
Reaction score
Suggest setting up the 320 as the master drive and using the 80 in an external case with Firewire as USB, even USB 2 is too slow. Install leopard on the 32w0 and make a bootable copy on the external using SuperDuper or some such.

hen if you need more HDD space, add additional 320/500 as slave drives.

I'll do just that. Thanks for the info. I'll post my results. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.