Next Mac OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I would say the next OS will be mid to late 2009, will probably drop support for PPC chips and Intel 32-bit chips (Core Duo) and will be heavily dual-core optimised. I also think the GUI may get a serious makeover next time, with much more Quartz Extreme based stuff...

Of course, no one knows for sure...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I would say the next OS will be mid to late 2009, will probably drop support for PPC chips and Intel 32-bit chips (Core Duo) and will be heavily dual-core optimised. I also think the GUI may get a serious makeover next time, with much more Quartz Extreme based stuff...

Of course, no one knows for sure...

I agree that they will probably drop PPC support... and although that sucks for PPC users, apple can't support them forever, they need to complete the transition to intel. This will also end the whole universal binary thing so that the OS and all apps will take up less space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The NEXT one? We are still absorbing THIS one! I hope that the keep Leopard around for a while and keep on improving it as they go, just as they did with Tiger.

Reaction score
Its hard to see what they will do with the GUI. My first mac came with Leopard but I actually prefer the look of Tiger. I just can't see why the changed certain aspects especially the look of the finder window, it just feels like change for the sake of it.

What ever they do I hope they introduce a Move command for the finder and the ability to move and delete files when in an open app open/save dialogue.

Reaction score
I love the look of Leopard vs Tiger. Tiger's GUI was all over the place. I doubt they'd drop Core Duo (32 Bit) support though considering some models were still selling with them last year. It'd be harsh for a two year old system not to be able to upgrade to 10.6 if it comes out in 09 which I assume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
The NEXT one? We are still absorbing THIS one! I hope that the keep Leopard around for a while and keep on improving it as they go, just as they did with Tiger.

Very true, I'm still waiting on 10.5.3, but it would be nice to have some indication of where they plan on heading for 10.6

I love the look of Leopard vs Tiger. Tiger's GUI was all over the place. I doubt they'd drop Core Duo (32 Bit) support though considering some models were still selling with them last year. It'd be harsh for a two year old system not to be able to upgrade to 10.6 if it comes out in 09 which I assume.

I agree. I believe they have to drop support for PPC eventually and 10.6 may be the time to do it, but they might keep the core duo till 10.7 (of course I'm just making this all up, i have no sources at all) they just need to complete the transfer to intel instead of supporting both processors. (And this is coming from someone who still owns and uses a PPC mac, I got 5 years out of it so far and it still runs great, and I won't complain if 10.6 drops support because honestly, leopard is not a bad OS to be stuck with on a 5 year old system, 6 or 7 if we are going on when 10.6 will come out

Reaction score
I'm not saying I don't like Leopard I just think certain aspects of Tiger looked better like the finder window, and the top menu bar, white with a blue apple.

The folder icons also look much better in Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I just want Apple to fix the Finder. Make it more robust, add some tabs, maybe a Cut option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a better finder would be nice, and better networking, but that can still be fixed in leopard...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I just want Apple to fix the Finder. Make it more robust, add some tabs, maybe a Cut option.

Hey Kash, you can always get FileCutter, to add the cut and paste capabilities. This is what I have done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yea, I know. I've also used Pathfinder, and it's a great Finder replacement. I just want Apple to get around and implement those features directly into Finder so I don't have to use third party apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I second that

Maybe they will cut out PPC chips, but is is easy to keep G5 compatibility for such a portable OS - tho apple are good at cutting off too much backwards compatibility to keep things lean

10.6 will also keep OS X 2 years ahead of Microsoft, and maybe it will integrate the whole Media Centre thing more closelly - since that's where things are going

It may also be called OS X Lynx, or Sabre Tooth :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Hopefully they make front row a little more customizable. And a tabbed finder would be nice

Reaction score
Oh goodness, DROPPING POWER PC?!!
LOOKS LIKE I NEED TO GET SOME POWER CASH TO UPGRADE!
haha.
With every version of Mac OSX that comes out, it just reminds me how low on the food chain mine is!
They should totally release 10.55, and aim it at REALLY low end Macs, like mine ;)
It would be amazingly unrealistic!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
i hope it looks like this:

Macintosh_System_7.5.3_screenshot.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
I thought I read somewhere that 10.6 is in BETA now but how far along I have no idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.