Power Mac G3 issue

Reaction score
ok heres the deal, i have just recently recieved a g3 mac from a friend. unfortunatly the isc it came with was only 6 or 7 gbs...so after installing tiger onto the drive i relised i needed more space to do wa i wanted to do...with that being said i then bought a 200gb hd and installed tiger onto it....everything work fine just a issue with booting from the drive....the questin mark and mac faced folder blinks an then it goes to the apple icon screen and the the horrible thing happens:mad:..a black rectangular box appears in the middle of the screen and does not load into tiger...it just stays there....now heres what i dont get...now if i lug in the 6 gb hd which has tiger running on it...it boots up without any issues...but the 200gb give me prbs...any solutions? thnx in advance....ps i have already tried te command+option +p+r thing....thnx agen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
The old G3's have a capacity limit of 128gb. You need a PCI IDE card to take advantage of your 200gb drive or you could look for third party drivers to fix the issue (google it, I've never went that route). I'd go with the PCI card.

OP
D
Reaction score
well the drive is a ide hd....an it does only recognse 128gbs of the 200....bt lik it booted a few times with n issues...now all that comes up is the black rectangle.....think its hardware...lik cud it be the battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well the drive is a ide hd....an it does only recognse 128gbs of the 200....bt lik it booted a few times with n issues...now all that comes up is the black rectangle.....think its hardware...lik cud it be the battery?

Are you running a revision 1 machine? These units had problems with the onboard IDE controller, especially under OSX.

I don't remember how to identify these units, I would look online. I used to have one and it gave me nothing but trouble when using the onboard IDE controller so I installed a PCI controller card.

OP
D
Reaction score
aite so youd advise trying it out with an pci card...cuz tha pci connector im using now is onboard....still jus perplex because it booted fine the 1st 2 or 3 times now...jus the blck box in da midle:S...but as i sed, the 6gb hd that the computer came with which i installed tiger on boots up fine...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aite so youd advise trying it out with an pci card...cuz tha pci connector im using now is onboard....still jus perplex because it booted fine the 1st 2 or 3 times now...jus the blck box in da midle:S...but as i sed, the 6gb hd that the computer came with which i installed tiger on boots up fine...

I had one of these machines running 10.4 perfectly well on a 40gb IDE drive for about 3 months until it started crashing and wouldn't boot up anymore. Thats when I realized it was a Rev 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.