can't startup

Reaction score
HUGE PROBLEM.

First of all, I probably know why it occured. I was uploading a whole lot of music, and I checked how much space left I had and it said 1.6 gigs. Which is not good. I decided I was just going to put all the new music on my ipod and then delete all my music off my computer to create space. However, I was burning a cd of some of the new music when my macbook crashed, which the blank cd in it.

Now, whenever I turn my computer on, I just get the kernel panic telling me to restart. Every time. I can't get passed it. I've tried starting it in Safe Mode but it just shows the gray screen with the apple logo. I tried pressing X but nothing happens. I'm thinking that my RAM has failed and that I'm just out of luck, but I was hoping that maybe somebody had the same problem as me and knew how to easily fix it. Thanks everyone!

OP
O
Reaction score
I got the blank cd out, and I put in my leopard disc, held c, and had it boot up the installation for Leopard. I started to install it (it erased my whole hard drive, losing everything), but got half way through before saying there was an error and to restart and install again.

When I went to install again, there was no hard drive to select to put Leopard on. So i went to Disc Utility and noticed that there was no partition on my hard drive, it was just the drive and that's it. So I made a partition so that I can install Leopard on it, but it's been saying it's "creating partition map" for the past 4 hours. What is going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
OP
O
Reaction score
Last night, it said it was supported so I went on to step two of you what you said, but pressing 'd' didn't do anything. So I just gave up.

Right now, I decided to try again and it now says S.M.A.R.T is not supported. Does this mean my hard drive is just completely fried?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try repairing the HDD, with Disk Utility, from the install disk?
For the smart status, make sure you've selected the main HDD. (top left side)

For the AHT, hold the "d" key (with the install disk) until it starts up.

OP
O
Reaction score
I got the SMART to be verified, and I made a parition to put leopard on. It successfully did that and I started to install leopard until, once again, it failed. I restarted and it said my partition wasn't mounted. Everytime I tried to mount it, it failed and said to run first aid. When I run verify and repair disc, they both finish but say Volume Header needed to be repaired. I don't know what else to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Volume Header needed to be repaired.
"There are nine structures that make up a typical HFS Plus volume:

Sector 2 contains the Volume Header equivalent to the Master Directory Block in an HFS volume. The Volume Header stores a wide variety of data about the volume itself, for example the size of allocation blocks, a timestamp that indicates when the volume was created or the location of other volume structures such as the Catalog File or Extent Overflow File. The Volume Header is always located in the same place."

Try starting in Single-User mode. If this doesn't repair the HDD, you may need DiskWarrior.
  1. At the command-line prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy
  2. Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:
    ** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK​
    If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****​
    Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).
  3. When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

OP
O
Reaction score
I went through single user mode and tried what you said, but it didn't run 5 different steps - it only checked my cdrom drive, not my hard drive for some reason.

So I went back into the leopard installer and checked out utilities again, and decided to try and make 2 partitions, and try putting on leopard on the 2nd one.

The installing started and went half way, and then said there was an error and to contact the manufacturer.

?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try the single-user mode again. Type in fsck -fy Run it at least 2x.
it will force check your HDD. Post back the results, please.

OP
O
Reaction score
I go into Single User mode, which is the blank screen with all the white text.

It promps me to type either /sbin/fsck - fy or /sbin/mount - uw/

I type /sbin fsck - fy

It says:
/dev/rdisck1s2 (NO WRITE)
root file system
checking non-journaled hfs plus volume
checking extents overflow file
checking catalog file
checking multi-inked files
checking catalog hierarchy
checking extended attributes file
checking volume bitmap
checking volume information
The volume Mac OS X Install DVD appears to be OK

and then it promps me to type something again. Which I typed the fsck -fy again, and got the same results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, at this point, since Disk Utility can't repair the HDD, you have 2 options.

1. Buy DiskWarrior. It probably can repair the HDD. Its a little expensive, but a good investment. It can also help recover lost data. Great for future problems.
2. Buy a new HDD. Depending on your model and the size, it might be around the same price. Maybe cheaper.

Also, there's the possibility that there is a separate hardware problem. Any luck with the hardware test? (make sure to Hold the d key until it starts up)

Just trying to cover all possibilities and options.

OP
O
Reaction score
Yeah, When I hold down "d" on start up, it just loads like it has been and goes right to installation.

I decided to try and format a partition differently, doing it Case Sensative, even though I have no idea what it meant. I tried installing again, and it got 75% done before it said there was an error. Perhaps it's the way my hard drive is formatted?

I'm guessing it'll just be needed to buy a new hard drive. I love my mac, and I don't want to buy a new computer if I can avoid it, especially since I bought this one in July of last year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Might want to check the warranty. If its less than a year old, it should be covered.
Give Apple a call. You could get it repaired for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.