G3 PowerBook Pismo won't start up. I've read the other thread, too.

Reaction score
Here's my issue. I just got a new G4 tower cheap and wanteds to get all my info from m¥ old laptop...the G3 Powerbook Pismo. I haven't used it more than 4 or 5 times inthe last 2 years maybe and when I did start it up the battery would hold a charge at all and the closk would need to be reset whenever I booted it off th e power cord. Last time I had it on was a few months ago.

I go to power it up and nothing happens. I plug it in for a while and try again. Nothing happens. I treid:

Emergency! My iBook won't turn on! (and other power issues...)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are experiencing trouble with power issues, such as:
- Battery charging problems
- Sudden loss of power whilst running off battery
- iBook refuses to switch on
then you might need to reset the PRAM (Parameter RAM) or the PMU (Power Management Unit).

To reset the PRAM, hold Apple-Option-P-R simultaneously at the Apple logo.
To reset the PMU, hold down “Shift-Control-Option-Power “.

(Neither of these should delete any data - some settings might be lost though)

Well...it says to hold those keys at the apple logo. I can't get my book to boot at all, so I'm not getting to the Aplle logo. I also went to apple's website and tried all this page had to offer on the G3:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

Am I missing something? Could my machine have just up and died for good? Any suggestions??

Thnaks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
Is is getting any power at all?

If it is then you should be getting a green light under the screen, if not it could be the Power board/ sound card. Its a $30 fix (ebay) and it'll take you about 1-1.5 hours to complete with instructions from iFixit.com.

I had a similar problem, replaced the board and it worked.... for a awhile, ended up selling it on ebay.

good luck

OP
C
Reaction score
NO...it doessn't seem to be getting any power at this time. No green lights at all. It's like a glorified paper weight. I'll look into the board thing. Thanks!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.