G5 Matshita Superdrive and DVD-RW media

Reaction score
Well, I decided to plunge in and beg for help with my first post. Please be gentile! <grin>

I just inherited an IMac G5 from my wife after getting her a new IMac for her birthday. I'm running 10.4.11 with a Matshita Superdrive...and therein lies the problem.

I could have sworn that these Superdrives were supposed to be happy with DVD-RW media. However, each and every time I insert one, it spins for about 30 seconds, then spits it out. And it spits it (and all other media) out with such force that the DVD literally lands on the desk several inches from the Mac! DVD-R, and DVD-RAM appear to read just fine.

I also have an external drive, a new Pioneer 115D, running in a Firewire case. I've noticed that sometimes I get an "input-output error" when trying to erase media in this drive.

Any thoughts on any of this?

And many thanks for your handholding on my first venture into the Mac world, at least at home.

thanks!

Mike Nassour / Austin TX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'm running 10.4.11 with a Matshita Superdrive ... these Superdrives were supposed to be happy with DVD-RW media. However, each and every time I insert one, it spins for about 30 seconds, then spits it out. DVD-R, and DVD-RAM appear to read just fine.
I also have an external drive, a new Pioneer 115D, running in a Firewire case. I've noticed that sometimes I get an "input-output error" when trying to erase media in this drive. Any thoughts on any of this?

It usually means media incompatibility. Check both Matshita and Pioneer websites for detailed lists of which media type and brands are compatible with your particular drives. Pioneer is very helpful in this regard. It wouldn't hurt to experiment with various brands of DVD-RW. There is no doubt that not all brands of media are born equal - or equivalent!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pioneer DVR-115D handles DVD-RW no problems. Perhaps it is the brand of discs. Personally use only Verbatim and have yet (touches wood) to burn a drink coaster.

If you go to Apple System Profiler check to see DVD-RW are amongst options.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, folks. :) Now, a little more info....

Yes indeed, I just checked system profiler and it says that RW should be supported across the board. I have also noticed the following:

I have an external burner, a Pioneer DVR 115D. When the blank RW media is placed in it, the same thing happens....nothing. No recognition from the Mac whatsoever. BTW, it's hooked up USB.

Also...the exact same pieces of media work fine in our Intel IMac. I'm using either Fuji or TDK, and both have worked in the past. I can't imagine such an oddball quirk being a hardware issue since BOTH drives developed it at almost the same time.

Both drives recognize and burn -R and +R DVDs and all CD-Rs with no problems at all.

You can see why this one has me completely stumped! TIA for any other thoughts....

Mike Nassour / Austin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.