Headless Clone Needs Head

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20", 2.4ghz iMac/4 gigs of ram + a 2.1ghz MacBook/160gb 7200 rpm Seagate HD/1 gig of ram
I'm going to be building a pc for the purpose of storage of media etc and because I can (building your own computer is very fun). But I have no want to buy a monitor, I have a iMac + my MacBook. I have a mini-dvi to vga adapter already, what else do I need to basically make my iMac or MacBook a monitor for it?

Is all I Need just a vga cord with male receivers on both ends?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, you can't use your iMac or Macbook as external monitors. Those mini-DVI connectors are for video OUT, not in.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20", 2.4ghz iMac/4 gigs of ram + a 2.1ghz MacBook/160gb 7200 rpm Seagate HD/1 gig of ram
Actually, you can't use your iMac or Macbook as external monitors. Those mini-DVI connectors are for video OUT, not in.

Thanks for that heads up, I was under the impression is was both ways in ability. This is why questions are good to ask. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

actually, you can use iTv Elegato to use imac screens as ext. screens. although they cost about $300 and is a hassle...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I was thinking about mentioning Elgato, but considering how much its products cost, he would be better off just getting a real monitor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.