Radeon x1900 or Geforce 8800

Reaction score
Okay, I need some unbiased opinions. I've got one of the 1st gen Mac Pros, 2.66 ghz, nvidia geforce 7300, basically the default setup Apple was selling them at. It's time to upgrade the video card and I cannot figure out which card is better. I use mostly pro apps, all of Adobe's stuff, Maya, I do lots of animation and design work, mainly in Leopard but also in XP through boot camp. Game performance is of no importance as I don't play them ...that's what my PS3 is for :). So which would be better, the Radeon X1900 XT or the GeForce 8800 GT and why?

Reaction score
Beware X1900

I've personally had the X1900 for over a year and a half, and then strange artifacts started to display on the screen, but only when running video games. The bad part - these are the only heavy 3D applications I run. Other applications work fine.

There have been a number of reported cases of this happening, and I have yet to see any notice by AMD/ATI. Given my attempts at getting customer service through Apple and AMD online, I'm very leery of recommending ATI, based purely on the combination of quality of the product and the customer service experience.

Oh, and sorry about posting this a month after your question, but I'm a little ticked at having to purchase a replacement after 18 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The 8800 is the superior card, no questions asked. It's simply a full generation ahead of the X1900.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I agree with Kash. I also remember seeing postings on various performance review sites of the Mac Pro showing that the nVidia 8800 GT was 2x faster than the less expensive ATI card. Go nVidia.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Obviously it's faster, it's a newer card. Compare it with the same level card from ATI, the 2900, and you get comparable performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.