Has any one used a 9000 series nVidia card?

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Wondered if any of you new or older Mac Pro owners have put in any of the 9000 series nVida cards. They draw 450 or 500 watts minimum. Depending on the card. And the psu is rated at 950 watts. What are your experiences?

I'm thinking of buying a Mac Pro and later swapping in one of the 9000 series cards. Hoping I can do so without needed to upgrade any of the hardware already in the Mac Pro.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can't simply swap in any PCI-E video card, you would need to get a Mac version of the video card that has the proper firmware for it to work on a Mac, not to mention OS X having the drivers to support it.

While you can most certainly put the card in and use it in Windows via Boot Camp, don't expect it to work when booting into OS X.

OP
D
Reaction score
You can't simply swap in any PCI-E video card, you would need to get a Mac version of the video card that has the proper firmware for it to work on a Mac, not to mention OS X having the drivers to support it.

While you can most certainly put the card in and use it in Windows via Boot Camp, don't expect it to work*when booting into OS X.

Thanks for the information. I did see one "mac version" of a video card on the nVidia site. Is there a place that would show me more choices? Besides the Apple website. And are there many choices? Or, are there only the few listed on the Apple Mac Pro configuration webpage?

Was hoping to swap in a 9000 series nVidia card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.