PB Not Waking - Resetting Clock?

S

SamR

I have had a couple experiences with my 3month old PB not waking from sleep in the past. Usually I can't get it to respond until I wait about a half hour then turn it back on. The other day my PB shut itself off in the middle of me typing something and did the same thing. Nothing ever changed when I turned it back on but it happened yesterday and it reset my clock to 1969. Then when I turned it on just as normal today, it reset it again to like 1970. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Sounds like your cmos battery is dead (battery that stores time when the computer is turned off)

OP
S

SamR

Thanks for the advice, that would only explain the clock resetting, not explain why it doesn't wake up? Should I take it in to Apple and have them look at that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Im thinking try zapping the pram, or your pram battery may be dead

OP
S

SamR

Sorry my laptop knowledge is limited and this is the first couple months I've used a mac, what do you mean by zapping the pram or the pram battery might be dead? thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pram stands for arameter ram, it keeps track of stuff like settings, locations of folders and such, theres a small battery that stores all of this. to zap the pram(resets pram) start up holding down command+option+p+r and keep held until you hear the chime 5 yimes, then let go and your mac finishes starting up, your clock may be wrong afterward as a result of this, but everything else should be the same.

OP
S

SamR

Thanks again for the help, I'll try that later today, but should it be something I should worry about or take to Apple (though I've heard nothing but horror stories about their customer service) since it's a new computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple customer support is usually very good, but being that your mac is new, you should take it in to apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
Yeah, I've really only heard nothing but good things about Apple's customer service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 mirror front
Pram replacement

I think my G4 1.5 needs a new Pram battery, clock is wrong on each startup, I have replaced them on my desktop but never been in a laptop is it easy? looks like I need to add some ram also so I thought I would do both at the same time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.