why don't I have "sufficient permission"?

Reaction score
So I made a separate user account for my mom on my macbook so that I could make her a separate iTunes library to use with her new iPod shuffle that I got her for mother's day.

I plugged in my external hard drive when I was logged into her account, thinking I could get some of the songs she wanted that were in my library, into her library by using my external hard drive.

When I tried to do it, it said I didn't have "sufficient permission" to do anything with the external HD???

How can I fix this? I eventually wanted to have all her iTunes stuff on my external hard drive, but right now it's not letting me do anything with my external HD in her account?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you use get info ( i) on the external, you should get the option near ownership and privileges that says ignore ownership and privileges on this volume

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I have my HD separated into two different sections so it pops up as two separate HDs basically. When I plug it in in my own account, one of them just says "you can read and write" and doesn't give me any options. ("details" isn't even there) The other says you can read and write, only the "read and write" is in a dropdown menu thing that's greyed out (even when I click the lock and unlock it). Then "owner" and "group" are the only ones I can change but that doesn't do me any good...

Is there any way I could go into disk utility and change this, without erasing all my stuff?

Reaction score
Did u intentionally split the drive up? if u press (command - i) on the drive and hit the lock on the bottom of the information screen you should be able to type in a admin name and password to use the drive. i would sugest using the root account or your own personal account for this.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah I intentionally split it up. Right now I'm in my admin account on my laptop, and the lock only shows up on one of them. I have one side of my external HD formatted for mac-only use. And the other for mac/pc use both. The one that's set up just for mac is the only one where the lock is even showing up (and yeah, i tried clicking on the arrows to make more stuff show up below). The lock only unlocks "owner" and "group" which isn't doing me any good. I even changed the owner to "system" instead of just my username, but that did no good. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.