Moving files

Reaction score
One thing that I find anoying about mac is that its difficult to move files Backwards through folders.

Moving them forward is fine as you can click and drag the file then hover it over the folders and it will go forward. Is there any way to do the same sort of thing, but in the oposit direction to move the files backwards through folders?

I also get confused with copying and pasting. when i drag a folder to a different location does it copy it (leaving the original file where it was) or does it cut and move it?

Lastly, is there any way to get a "cut" option in the right click menue? there is a copy there but no past. (i dont want to pay for software though)

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
Dragging a folder or file in finder will cut and paste the file there, not copy. As an example, try dragging something to the desktop. It will disappear in finder.

Personally, I love working with two windows and dragging between them. As far as moving them "back," I'm not sure because as said that's not the technique I use and I've never looked into it. Someone else might have more insight on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Ok one at a time.

Moving file up or backwards in the directory is can be done a few ways. The simplest for me is drag and drop using the column view. I recently discovered drag and drop using the path at the bottom of finder windows. Great because it can be used in all 4 views.

Next when you drag a file to a new location in the finder it's moved not copied as long as the new location is in on the same volume (HD, USB thumb drive, network drive, etc...)If you drag to another volume the file is copied by default.

"Cut" there is no cut option right click menu AFAIK. You can hold CMD to move a file without copying it to new volume. Paste in only visible after you have copied something.

hope that helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
Good call on the column view. Forgot about that.

As far as the paths go, that's a nice catch. I wasn't aware of that. But they don't show up for me all the time - only when I search through spotlight and click to show all options. Is there a way to turn them on in all finder windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Yeah sure the Finder>View>Show Paths.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.