iMac G3 USB printing problem

B

BluesBar12

Epson SC740 drivers installed on OS 9.1 after first initialising drive for a fresh build.
AppleTalk deactivated.

SC740 icon appears in Chooser, but when selected an error message states "...the port you wish to use is being used by another device..." (or words to that effect).
I am unable to discover which port is being referred to, as non are listed.

Starting up with no extensions - does not help.
Tried connecting printer directly to the iMac and also through a self-powered USB hub.
Zapped the Pram twice to total of 5 chimes. (considered Zapping the iMac!!!) :-((

Anyone had similar problem?

Help would be much appreciated...

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you tried disconnecting it, shutting down for a few minutes, then start up and reconnect it? or have you tried another usb port? or alternately another usb cable?

OP
B

BluesBar12

Macman said:
have you tried disconnecting it, shutting down for a few minutes, then start up and reconnect it? or have you tried another usb port? or alternately another usb cable?

Yes I did that early on to no avail.

Other USB devices work fine ie Broadband modem and iOmega zip drive, so both USB ports operate normally.
No voltage problems reported.
This is driving me nuts...

OP
B

BluesBar12

Guess what? Installed an HP5550 and everything OK...

Epson consigned to the bin, despite my new client saying "oh but it was working before you installed Norton."

Hmm...

Been there, done that!! etc etc

OP
B

Badger

I had a similar problem. It was resolved by using the Epson driver de-install option (an important step) then installing the driver from the Epson website, not the CD. On the other hand, the 740 later died so you may have saved your client future problems.

OP
B

BluesBar12

Badger said:
I had a similar problem. It was resolved by using the Epson driver de-install option (an important step) ....

Hello Badger,

Thanks for posting; I didn't see a driver de-install option in the set I used.
Do you recall if this was an option run from the driver cd?

OP
B

Badger

It was part of the installer. As I remember there was a pull-down menu with three choices: Standard or easy install, custom install and remove. I no longer have either the 700 or the 740 printer or the software so I can't be more specific.

OP
B

BluesBar12

Thanks for that.
One other question: Did the problem arise after an upgrade? (I upgraded the problem iMac from 8.6 to 9.1).

OP
B

Badger

The 740 was on an iMac with systems from 8.1 to 9.2.2. It had to have the software reinstalled on a regular basis (at least once every three months) no matter which system. Eventually it had a hardware problem which led to replacing it. The photo 700 was used exclusively on a 6400 with system 8.6. After several years it began to show the same software problem, although less frequently. Eventually it too developed a problem and followed its relative to silicon Valhalla.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.