WiFi "flickers" on MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
The past few months I've noticed that my wireless connection at home flickers on and off intermittently. It seems to happen more frequently in my living room as opposed to my bedroom. Could it possibly be a setting either on my router or on my Mac? My router's a D-Link DI-624 and I'm running Leopard.

My settings all appear normal (and they're the same on my iMac which hasn't had any problems). It's not a huge problem it just has a tendency to be real inconvenient depending on the situation.

If you guys have any thoughts I'd appreciate the input, have a good one. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't know if this will help or not. I bought a used DLink DI-624 and it has very bad range with WiFi. If I am not in the same room as the router it does what you are experiencing. I did a signal strength test on it and it's way lower than any router that I own and I have maybe 15 here for testing. It's signal even with the test system right at it's antenna is 50dba while any other router here hits 99dba even a foot or so back, and 50 in the next room. By the time I get in the next room from the Dlink the signal is in the 20dba range. I did some googling when I first got the DI-624 and an amazing number of people had that same low signal problem that mine was having.

Maybe it's an issue that happens over time as mine was used when I bought it.

This issue here is on any notebook in the house including thinkpads, Compaq AMD 64, Macs and an HP.

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know, I know for a fact we've had similar issues to yours with prior D-Link routers. I don't know why I let my dad buy those routers. Next time I'm going to press him for an Airport. I'd just feel better if we were running Apple hardware...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I had a weird similar experience yesterday:

We have two CodeDuo Macbooks that are connected to our wifi 24/7.
I also have a Core2Duo Macbook from work that I've used quite a bit on my wifi network in the past without issue.

Yesterday however, the wifi also started to "flicker" on and off. It would connect for a few seconds then drop the signal. Repeat x100.

In the end I didn't have the time to fix it and just shared my internet connection via ethernet from my private macbook, but I'll have to look into it more.

So my point is it might not necessarily be your router's fault.

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a weird similar experience yesterday:

We have two CodeDuo Macbooks that are connected to our wifi 24/7.
I also have a Core2Duo Macbook from work that I've used quite a bit on my wifi network in the past without issue.

Yesterday however, the wifi also started to "flicker" on and off. It would connect for a few seconds then drop the signal. Repeat x100.

In the end I didn't have the time to fix it and just shared my internet connection via ethernet from my private macbook, but I'll have to look into it more.

So my point is it might not necessarily be your router's fault.

Yeah I'm starting to think that more and more given that my iMac isn't doing the same thing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If only one system is affected then I would have to agree also. Here with my 624 every computer is affected. I figured it would be a good thing to warn you about that router though as many have had the issues I have with the one here.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.