Canon xt or xti

k3s

Reaction score
Well i am in the market for a new dslr camera. I have always loved canon so i see it naturally to use it. But i am stuck between the XT and the XTI model. Anyone have experience with both and can say whether there is a big difference between both, since there is a 200 dollar difference between both.
Any suggestions, tips etc..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I got the XTi about a year ago, and love it. I debated the same thing when I got mine, and decided that the little extra was worth it.

OP
k3s

k3s

Reaction score
Yea the more i read up on both the xti seems worth it. The cleaning sensor is a big plus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Actually i upgraded today. My xt's auto-focus module was flacking out. When i got the estimate it was just shy the cost the xti body. So is said screw it and bought the body to get the warranty. The xti has a bigger screen, sensor cleaning, 2 more megapixels (not that i counts seeing 8 is more then enough for the avg. person) and more accurate auto focus. I tested it out and it seems to focus faster and alot more accurate in low light. The xti is more compatible with my Canon 17-55mm F2.8 lens. www.dpreview.com is a great sight for reviews and has a great forum also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
The sensor cleaning is a gimmick. There's two different magazines that did testing and both came up with about the same conclusion. Olympus had the best system being about 40% effective over all with Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sony coming is with none of their offerings hitting above %10 effectiveness.

They said Canon's problem (from what I remember of the article) was that the sensor retained a charge which held particles to the filter. The most effective method short of doing a swab cleaning is a blower.

I suggest just buying a blower and giving your sensor a few small blast here and there. It's worked beautifully for me so far and there's no risk of scratching the sensor if you're not touching it and using something as gentle as that.

So don't let something like that sway your choice and make sure you research the features that you find interesting before you purchase. That way you'll find out whether or not they're features that add functionality to the camera, or fall short of your expectations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Actually i upgraded today. My xt's auto-focus module was flacking out. When i got the estimate it was just shy the cost the xti body. So is said screw it and bought the body to get the warranty. The xti has a bigger screen, sensor cleaning, 2 more megapixels (not that i counts seeing 8 is more then enough for the avg. person) and more accurate auto focus. I tested it out and it seems to focus faster and alot more accurate in low light. The xti is more compatible with my Canon 17-55mm F2.8 lens. www.dpreview.com is a great sight for reviews and has a great forum also.

I'm currently shooting with an 8mp 30D. I had a photo enlarged for a client, it was a 24"x36" print made from a 1-2mb 8mp file. Talk about impressive work...

Reaction score
You might as well get the XTI.

The big difference, in my opinion, is the added LCD on the back of the camera on the XT, which Canon took off for the XTI, bigger LCD is the reason...

XTI is a good solid camera. Sitting neck to neck with the Nikon D40x.

I'd just go for the XTI. It has a 9 point AF system, versus a 7-point. Not a BIIG deal, but hey its actually faster too, especially with faster lenses (i.e. f/2.8)

Don't think about megapixels. That should be the LAST thing that determines which camera to get.

All the best,
-AC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
What about the Xsi? Its suppose to be much better than the other 2 rebels.

Reaction score
What about the Xsi? Its suppose to be much better than the other 2 rebels.

From the looks of reviews, the XSI is better than the XTI. It has more features, and delivers better quality photos from its competitors.

So overall, it looks to be another solid camera from Canon, topping the Xti.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
The Xsi is supposed to share more features with the higher end cameras, which it does. I love the fact that its SD too, especially since I think all cameras will either go that route, or have dual card slots.

I was just in this whole crazy debate over the Xsi and 40D. I took the XSi, got the 40D, and ended up returning it and getting the XSi again.

Some people I know were originally trying to get me to opt for the Xti originally to save money, but the reviews of the XSi were good and made it sound much improved over the XTi.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.