Backup from Core Duo, Restore in Core2 Duo system

Reaction score
Hello all

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for my question. I'm still a noob at this.

I have a 1st gen macbook pro (core duo based) for work and its served me fine. I now have a chance to upgrade to a current macbook, which is core2 duo based (and better specs). And I'd like to do it with little disruption.

I backup everything on my macbook pro with time-machine. Can I simply restore all that to my macbook? Does the core duo => core2 duo change make any difference? All I know is that the former is 32-bit and the latter is 64-bit? I'm guessing no, but I don't want to find out after the macbook arrives and all. BTW, my mac book pro is running Leopard right now; else I wouldn't have the backups :)

thanks

Srini

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hello all

Apologies if this isn't the right forum for my question. I'm still a noob at this.

I have a 1st gen macbook pro (core duo based) for work and its served me fine. I now have a chance to upgrade to a current macbook, which is core2 duo based (and better specs). And I'd like to do it with little disruption.

I backup everything on my macbook pro with time-machine. Can I simply restore all that to my macbook? Does the core duo => core2 duo change make any difference? All I know is that the former is 32-bit and the latter is 64-bit? I'm guessing no, but I don't want to find out after the macbook arrives and all. BTW, my mac book pro is running Leopard right now; else I wouldn't have the backups :)

thanks

Srini

As long as you have everything backed up with Time Machine (preferably on an external HDD) you should have no problem restoring to the new machine.

I'm assuming here you plan on just restoring data, documents, email, movies, music, your installed programs, etc. Obviously, since the new machine will be running Leopard you would not necessarily want to overwrite everything.

BTW, Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper both do an excellent job of cloning an old drive and then copying the data to the new one. Both programs will not overwrite any newer files\folders on the new drive and will only copy files\folders to the new drive that don't exist on it. CCC is free (donation ware), SuperDuper is not.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.