• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

just out of curiosity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook air, pro ipad air
I made the switch 3 months ago. I have the Imac 20".

When I read through these forums I get the feeling that almost everyone uses the laptop/notebook (not sure what you actually call them)

Whilst I can see the necessity's of a laptop to certain peeps I just wonder how many would still prefer them to a desktop if (for example) you did not need them for school/work etc..

I did try one once but after two months gave it to my son as there is no way I could get used to it. Maybe an age thing :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
i got mine for college. if i didn't go to school i definitely would have went for the imac. i just needed portability and that is one thing the i mac doesn't have.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
there are a lot of people with notebook models here for sure.

i'm 38, so i'm not sure how relevent age is. probably more of a "getting used to it" kind of thing.

i have a macbook now, and had two other windows laptops as my main computer before that. they actually do very little travelling, but my wife and i opted not to have a "study" or a computer desk in our bedroom/living room, and surfing the web, etc is really very comfortable when using a padded lapdesk and a notebook computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
School and just the ability to lay in bed and use the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I carry mine to work and back every day, thus the need for a notebook. But right now it's playing desktop anyway. We're planning on picking up a 24" iMac in a few weeks to replace an aging system that is the 'family' computer.

Reaction score
For some reason I have never liked laptops - I prefer and use a desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have a laptop to take with me when I travel for work, I can't check my home e-mail etc from my work laptop. Otherwise I use my desktop at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
i have an iMac, and just started high school, there is no real reason for me to get a laptop until university. the reason i got the desktop is because:

i needed super powerful computer (i know that macbook pros have similar power features, but i wanted a solid desk computer, and big screen (24''))
in 4 years the macbook (or w.e. it will be called then) will undergo just as many product cycles.
desktops will be un-obsolete longer then laptops (some will argue with me on this one)

i love my iMac, and do not regret having it and not a macbook (if that made sense...)

so yeah, a desktop user here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If I knew I would never need to take my Mac somewhere, I would go for the iMac.

But I take it to Uni quite a few times a week, to friend's occasionally to make music etc etc.

But at home, hooked up to my 20" screen, wireless keyboard and mouse it's basically used like a desktop.

Reaction score
90% of the time my MBP is plugged into an external monitor/keyboard/mouse. It is plenty powerful for what I use it for so I wouldn't really get any real advantage by getting an iMac or Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
If my job didn't force me to travel as much as I do, I'd probably only have an iMac. In fact, the money spent on this MacBook would have rolled over to a higher end iMac. But as it is, it's kinda nice having "my own" Mac that I don't have to share.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
I would love an iMac, but right now we have an apartment where there is no room for a desk. And it's quite nice to be able to sit in the sofa with the laptop... on the lap ;)

I have a Mac Mini too, connected to the TV. Using it mostly as a HTPC, but when the wife is away I use it as a surfing machine too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would love an iMac, but right now we have an apartment where there is no room for a desk. And it's quite nice to be able to sit in the sofa with the laptop... on the lap ;)

I have a Mac Mini too, connected to the TV. Using it mostly as a HTPC, but when the wife is away I use it as a surfing machine too.

when wife is away you surf for what? sorry lol, it just sounded funny for a second...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
The web, it is used primarily as an HTPC machine but when his wife is gone he'll use it as a regular computer, is what I think he is saying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The web, it is used primarily as an HTPC machine but when his wife is gone he'll use it as a regular computer, is what I think he is saying.

I know, it was just... did nobody else see it?

yeah, no i wasn't implying anything...

Reaction score
Yeah, I got it. Little joke ;)

Anyway, I have my PowerMac G4 and my PowerBook G3.
98% of the time when i'm at home i use my PowerMac. It's obviously far superior.
But also it's because I have dial up.
If we had high speed, I would use the PowerBook more often since it's portable so I can surf outside on the porch swing.
That's my dream.
But that would probably mean i'd need a bigger hard drive for it and some software upgrades.....or ultimately a better laptop.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook air, pro ipad air
Many thanks for some interesting answers. I certainly understand the portability, but am a bit surprised that many would still prefer the desktop if the necessity problem did not arise.

I have a smallish cyber and when the kids come home from Uni they still prefer their laptops despite the fact we have 10 other desktops.

As an aside, the others are PC's from the dark side and this stands out in demand from the customers, they soon get the message ;D

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I use my Macbook, my Mom uses a Mac Mini. I recently found out that I can use her printer wirelessly from my macbook very easily.... i can get the big ugly epson multifunction printer off my desk! But I used my Macbook alot at college, and its really nice to lay in bed or out on the deck with my laptop!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.