• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

just out of curiosity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I've always used desktop systems. It isn't until recently that I've become interested in laptops, mostly because I like to stay connected when I travel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"
I will never buy another desktop computer again. Ever. It just doesn't make any sense to have to sit in a designated space in your house just because you want to check something on the interwebz or whatever.
I can understand a den or office, I have one with a nice big walnut desk. Planting a huge monitor on that is just dumb. I usually need the computer when I'm sitting there and guess what? The laptop sits nicely on it. When I'm done it goes away. Plus, if I'm not done and I gotta go (if ya know what I mean) then it can go with me. Try that with your iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
I'm a college student and still prefer the desktop. I spend so much time on the computer, be it for leisure or for work, that I want the most out of my experience. For me, that means having a nice 20" display with wireless keyboard and mouse.

But don't get me wrong, as soon as I "come into the money," I want a MBP too :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
For me I love my imac. And have no need for a portable. I think desktops are better value for money too. But if I was ever to me on the road a lot, which I so am not now. I'd get a laptop. A MBP probably.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"
I'm a college student and still prefer the desktop. I spend so much time on the computer, be it for leisure or for work, that I want the most out of my experience. For me, that means having a nice 20" display with wireless keyboard and mouse.

But don't get me wrong, as soon as I "come into the money," I want a MBP too :)

I've thought of that too. After I move I'll have a nice large monitor, keyboard, setup but I'll just plug it all into the MBP and voila`, a desktop! Best of both worlds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I don't want to be stuck upstairs in the study whenever I want to get online or check my email. I'm connected almost constantly, always downloading something or other, and use IM a LOT more than the telephone. So me and the BF both have laptops, surf on the sofa and are very happy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
College i use my macbook, however once im at home its right on the 24 inch imac :)

I used to think i worked well on a laptop however i cant use it at a desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
I've thought of that too. After I move I'll have a nice large monitor, keyboard, setup but I'll just plug it all into the MBP and voila`, a desktop! Best of both worlds.

That's great for you. For me, at this point in my life, my budget doesn't even touch that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
I have both. If I didn't need the power of a workstation, I would get by with a laptop but have a full keyboard when I sit down at the desk. It's because of their cramped layout I had this pain in my left wrist that wouldn't leave for weeks.

I have a vista laptop, which is actually perfectly fine. I use it to browse the net and watch a movie or type up a story when I want to lay down, I didn't want to spend over $1000 for a macbook to do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I grew up a desk top person but when my job required me to be on the road and travel from meeting to meeting through out the day i went with a laptop. for me it is nice to have all my work in one place and not have to worry about what file is in on what computer. my mb travels with me every day to work and back, as well as to all my meetings i have.

I also handle all the presentations for the office so i need to bring a computer with me from location to location.

I do have a external monitor at both work and home. I also use 7 port usb hubs to plug all my peripherals into which includes a mouse and keyboard.

with that being said i am considering getting a desktop for home.

Reaction score
Or........you could wait until 2010 when the new Mac comes out with an iTablet that plugs into the side of the Mac. You can use it as an extra processor, hard drive and also take it out and take it with you (saw this in MacLife). If anyone is interested I will scan the photo of it and upload it to this forum. I figure I am going to go broke buying all these new Mac's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I love having a laptop computer! Definitely prefer it over a desktop. I've owned both and just find it nice to be able to be in different rooms and different locations entirely while still having my entire life (my MBP) with me. I used it yesterday for recipes when cooking for my mom. :p

It's also nice to have a laptop in case you need to bring it to work or school one day. Or while you're traveling. (Probably why I love my iPhone so much as well.... little tiny laptop!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Or........you could wait until 2010 when the new Mac comes out with an iTablet that plugs into the side of the Mac. You can use it as an extra processor, hard drive and also take it out and take it with you (saw this in MacLife). If anyone is interested I will scan the photo of it and upload it to this forum. I figure I am going to go broke buying all these new Mac's.

sounds interesting. def post a picture

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz C2D
I used desktop for years, then when I still had my last G4 desktop, I bought a 12" iBook, and found I preferred the portability, which allowed me to transfer video from my DVR, which is at the opposite end of our house from the computer room, where my desktop was. Once we got a wireless router, giving me the ability to connect wirelessly to the internet from anywhere in the house, I found the only thing I used the desktop for was video editing, for which my iBook did not have the RAM or HD capacity.

So when the time came last year to upgrade, I sold both the iBook and G4, and got a MacBook Pro, with a bigger HD and more RAM to handle the video editing portion, and use it exclusively.

Have thought about getting an AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule to replace the Netgear router we have now, but according to the Apple website, setup and administration requires Windows XP or Vista, and my husband only has Windows 2000 professional on his computer.

However, I'm wondering, if he's only using it to connect via Ethernet (he's got a non-wireless desktop), would he be able to use one of the Ethernet ports regardless of Windows operating system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

This here's Wacom territory!

Actually, I heard it'll be for the consumer, not the professional and uses both sides, but who knows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

I saw that too. It seems kind of like overkill though. In two years technology will advance a good bit and the tablet will likely be plenty powerful on its own. The extra hard drive could be useful though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I use a G5 iMac but would love a Macbook Pro, but only because I need it for college. Otherwise I'd stick with the iMac and maybe consider the Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Air, 2.13GHZ, 4GB RAM, 256GB Flash Memory, SuperDrive, 32GB iPhone 4
Plus, if I'm not done and I gotta go (if ya know what I mean) then it can go with me. Try that with your iMac.

Not to argue, but I was at an eating establishment for mothers day and at the table across the way were 2 ladies surfing the internet from none other than a 24" iMac which they later packed up and carried out the front door(no case or anything) like it was nothing unusual. Just kinda thought it was strange/kinda funny.

Also, I have owned only laptops since 2002 and they have only left my house a total of about 4 times. Still will never buy a desktop though, just in case i have to go for number 5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.