Wireless Networking - mac & pc?

U

UnderOath

I just have a quick question before I buy an iBook. The network we have right now is just basic DSL provided by Qwest. My PC in my room has wireless capabilities and so does the vaio notebook im using now. My question is, if i were to buy an iBook would i still be able to use the DSL that we currently have, or would it not be compatible with the AirPort wireless that Macs use? I hope that makes sense, and any help would be appreciated. :cool:

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

I've used a Belkin Router where the PC was connected to Comcast cable. The laptop easily connected to the network. I don't see why you should have trouble getting an new ibook to connect to your network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Airport is exactly the same as a "regular" wireless network. (same technology etc.)

It's just Apple's name for it. So you'll have no problems using a airport system in a normal pc WLAN environment and vice versa.

You can either plug in directly using an ethernet cable, or if you have a wireless router (which I assume you do have, since you mention both your pc's have wireless cards installed) then you can just join your local wireless network with your iBook and surf.

Btw. the iBook has great wireless reception due to the antenna integrated into its screen. So enjoy!

OP
U

UnderOath

Aptmunich said:
Airport is exactly the same as a "regular" wireless network. (same technology etc.)

It's just Apple's name for it. So you'll have no problems using a airport system in a normal pc WLAN environment and vice versa.

You can either plug in directly using an ethernet cable, or if you have a wireless router (which I assume you do have, since you mention both your pc's have wireless cards installed) then you can just join your local wireless network with your iBook and surf.

Btw. the iBook has great wireless reception due to the antenna integrated into its screen. So enjoy!

sweet, thanks for the responses you guys, been helpful.. and hopefully an iBook will be coming my way shortly. :headphone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.