Digital output (trying to get straight ac3)

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a set of Logitech Z680 speakers that are hooked up to my black macbook (intel core duo 2.0ghz, running leopard). Now I used to have them connected to my desktop rig which when I inserted a dvd I was able to get straight AC3 (or dolby digital, whatever you want to call it) to the speakers via optical, I would know this was working properly because "Digital" would display on my speaker's control unit screen. With the black macbook in audio midi setup I cannot for the life of me get it to output on the selected "Digital out" w/ "Encoded Digital Audio" selected. If I select "2ch - 24bit." I can play anything except it of course is matrixed sound (fake).

I have tried off a DVD that is known to work on my PC like this as well as I have encoded that DVD to an .m4v file with handbrake and tried to play that in a number of different ways. No beans.

Any advice?

TIA!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
How are the speakers connected? Does the MacBook have an optical audio connector?

OP
V
Reaction score
Yes the macbook has an optical audio connector and I am using a standard TosLINK optical audio cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.