Mem controller temp fluctuating wildly when charging

Reaction score
My two month old MacBook Pro is displaying some odd behaviour when charging the battery.

According to iStat Pro, the "mem controller" fluctuates between extreme values - everything from "126 degrees Celsius" to "46 degrees C" to "-56 degrees C".

That's right - according to the stat the mem controller is actually freezing at times.

It fluctuates fast, but once I remove the power cord, and just run it on battery, everything goes back to normal, and the fans calm down.

When charging, the fans run between 4500 and 6000 RPM constantly - very annoying. Note: The machine does NOT feel hot when the fans are going full speed.

I have already tried unplugging the battery, and removing, then re-inserting, my RAM.

Hardware test fails if I run it when charging, then shows everything as perfectly fine when on battery. I just tried resetting the SMC, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect.

Any ideas? Next stop repair?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.