Blu-Ray drive on Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most mac products
Hey guys,

Who out there knows when the Blu-Ray drive will be coming to any of Apple's products?

Currently I use a MacBook & an iMac, and so I'm rather skeptical about changing to the newer, revised models [MacBook Air and new iMac] because they're not equipped with Blu-Ray drive or even, HD-DVD drive, and one might be faced with a nightmarish scenario if I did fork out the money for these new products and Apple [in true Steve Jobs style] goes on to release newer versions with equipped with Blu-Ray drives, probably a few weeks down the calendar.

Sony Laptops, as well as some Samsung laptops too, are already being shipped with Blu Ray drives.

So who knows or has "Insider info" on this issue?

If anyone has got info on this, please post on here.

Mucha gracias!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Apple is notorious for keeping tight-lipped about new product releases, so the short answer is - no one knows but Apple. Anything else you read is mere rumor and speculation.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Thread moved from Rumors and Reports, see rules for posting in that section.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Sony can do it because they can. It's their technology and they're willing to take the profit loss to promote it.

I think once the prices drop to a much more reasonable level, the switch might happen. I doubt it will be this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you don't see it in the supposed Macbook updates next month, then like bry said, don't expect to see them for a while.

There's really no incentive for Apple to put expensive Blu-Ray drives in its computers. Apple is pushing hard for digital distribution for HD content, and adding Blu-Ray would be sort of a disincentive for people to invest in the iTunes Store and the AppleTV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
kash, good point but i'd imagine the macpro needing a bluray drive for those people who needs it for the actual production aspect of it
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I'm pretty sure you can get a blu ray drive for quite a few apple computers and notebooks - just not from apple. Yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure you can get a blu ray drive for quite a few apple computers and notebooks - just not from apple. Yet.

Yea, there are a few available. I saw a drive for an iMac but it cost $600 or $800. The Mac Pro drives run around $200 for a read drive or $450 for a burner. But discs are still $20 each and there is no software support I am aware of beyond Toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
On that note I think I shall wait a couple of years, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The technology still seams a few years ahead for the mainstream consumer market.

Don't get me wrong, I love Blu-ray. My PS3 is awesome. If I had the spare cash, I'd so buy a second just as a media center. It can do a millions things better than most media centers at a fraction of the cost.
I also picked up a pair of movies on Amazon for $30 total so the cost can be pretty reasonable. The sound and video quality is far superior to a DVD on a HDTV. I don't think I'd ever buy a DVD again. But I'll wait a year or two before buying a computer drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.33ghz C2D 4gb Ram
I was looking at the Blue Ray Laptops before i bought my MBP. I almost got one with an HDMI output.

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which BluRay drives will work in a MacPro ?
Will any sata drive work?
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.