Newbie With First Imac Needs Advice & Help ?

Reaction score
ok hello all i just switched over to the new imac 2.8 24 inch screen and i had a dell before ,which i used verizon dsl which gave me a wireless router a westell . ok so my first question is the airport express a router or do i have to use both my westell and the airport or can i just use the airport and how is the security on airports wireless???
any and all info is appreciated and i thank you all in advance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok hello all i just switched over to the new imac 2.8 24 inch screen and i had a dell before ,which i used verizon dsl which gave me a wireless router a westell . ok so my first question is the airport express a router or do i have to use both my westell and the airport or can i just use the airport and how is the security on airports wireless???
any and all info is appreciated and i thank you all in advance

I think you have some of the terminology confused. Apple likes to call all of its wireless devices "Airports", this includes the wireless adapter in your Mac as well as their wireless routers. If you already have a wireless router (the Westell device you're referring to), you have no need for an additional router. Simply click the Airport control (in the menu bar, near the clock - looks like a fan) and then choose your Westell wireless network from the list of networks.

OP
N
Reaction score
I think you have some of the terminology confused. Apple likes to call all of its wireless devices "Airports", this includes the wireless adapter in your Mac as well as their wireless routers. If you already have a wireless router (the Westell device you're referring to), you have no need for an additional router. Simply click the Airport control (in the menu bar, near the clock - looks like a fan) and then choose your Westell wireless network from the list of networks.

Thank You for the information

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.