Can someone explain the /home directory to me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
I noticed that os x uses a home folder but it in the users folder. I had a Ubuntu box, and it seems like os x doesn't use the /home folder like Ubuntu. What actually goes on in the /home folder in os x? It is totally locked down and doesn't get backed up in Time Machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I noticed that os x uses a home folder but it in the users folder. I had a Ubuntu box, and it seems like os x doesn't use the /home folder like Ubuntu. What actually goes on in the /home folder in os x? It is totally locked down and doesn't get backed up in Time Machine.

It's used in very much the same way as it is in Ubuntu. All of your user-specific settings as well as your documents and other files that pertain to your account are stored there. You can't see everything that resides in that folder within the Finder, since much of it is hidden. However, if you do an ls -a in the terminal in your home folder, you'll get a better feel for what is contained there.

What leads you to believe that Time Machine doesn't back it up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I don't have a /home folder on my systems. Either this is new in Leopard, or you made it yourself.

I do have a Home folder (~/, or /Users/myusername/)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually there does seem be a hidden /home directory, but there's nothing in there.

Perhaps it's just there because of OS X's BSD roots (or perhaps it's needed for some reason?).

Anyway, for everyday use I think it doesn't have any relevance.

~/ is where the action's at ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Code:
technologist$ cd /home
-bash: cd: /home: No such file or directory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Must be a Leopard thing...

slashhome-20080511-011509.jpg

T

tux08902

I don't have a /home folder on Leopard. I don't think it's standard in OS X because OS X uses /Users instead of /home for non-root users.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
It's used in very much the same way as it is in Ubuntu. All of your user-specific settings as well as your documents and other files that pertain to your account are stored there. You can't see everything that resides in that folder within the Finder, since much of it is hidden. However, if you do an ls -a in the terminal in your home folder, you'll get a better feel for what is contained there.

What leads you to believe that Time Machine doesn't back it up?

I was reading a post about time machine, because, (as I posted in my other treads) my system sounds are all kind of messed up. I was going to do a reinstall and then use Time machine to restore all of my documents and things. I might even want to recover some preferences for the apps that I use and maybe even some account prefs. I did a search for Time Machine exclusions and read off the list, and one of them happened to be /home.

Here is the site I read.

@All others having trouble locating the directory:
With Finder in focus, click "go" in the menubar. Then select "go to folder" and then type /home. it won't do much, just brings up a directory that you cannot edit, or even see anything in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have a /home folder on Leopard. I don't think it's standard in OS X because OS X uses /Users instead of /home for non-root users.
It's a hidden folder...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Me too. It's clearly empty.

dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 1 May 10 19:33 home

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.