people were not kidding when they said you cant really game with a regular macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
i logged into daoc in the middle of the woods no one around except some rats and was getting like 3 fps. people were not kidding when they said you need a mac pro to game with really. that was aweful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I do ok on mine actually. But then I have no idea what 'daoc' is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Same is true of all computers with integrated graphics.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I sometimes do play WoW on my Macbook, however, I have completely the opposite experience. I have an iMac G5 PowerPC and an Intel Macbook, and the iMac struggles at times, but the Macbook out preforms the iMac every time. Even in cities with a high population of players around, it still plays smoothly. I can't tell the exact fps that I get, it's not going to be an impressive number at all, but I get a more playable experience on my Macbook than my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g
Actually almost everyone told me you could do games on Macbook, I didn't believe them though because like the other person said integrated graphics = suckith so I never did find out. I'd definitely take your word for it though yuck... go pro

Reaction score
i logged into daoc in the middle of the woods no one around except some rats and was getting like 3 fps. people were not kidding when they said you need a mac pro to game with really. that was aweful.

That's your macbook telling you to go outside and be social in real life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Yeah I don't know what's up with that, works just fine for me on my 2.2GHz MacBook with 1 gig of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Graphics settings may have been cranked up too high. Try lowering them, you should be able to play games just fine then. While integrated graphics aren't that great, you should be able to pull off more than a measly 3FPS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I sometimes do play WoW on my Macbook, however, I have completely the opposite experience. I have an iMac G5 PowerPC and an Intel Macbook, and the iMac struggles at times, but the Macbook out preforms the iMac every time. Even in cities with a high population of players around, it still plays smoothly. I can't tell the exact fps that I get, it's not going to be an impressive number at all, but I get a more playable experience on my Macbook than my iMac.

Your intel macbook and your ppc imac arent comparable. I would expect the results you are getting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Same is true of all computers with integrated graphics.

True enough, but you can play Civ IV on a Macbook under Windows Bootcamp far better than you can play it under OS X, meaning either the Mac version is awful or for whatever reason, the OS X drivers are terrible.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
civIV is probably playing under rosetta on intel.

that's what makes sim city 4 unbearable even with the graphics turned all the way down.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Your intel macbook and your ppc imac arent comparable. I would expect the results you are getting.

I'm merely stating that not all computers with integrated graphics cards created are going to have the same performance. I'm not surprised at all with the difference in performance between the two. You may expect that, but I am sure other people do not.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
exactly iwhat.

my macbook + OSX + simcity 4 = suck

my work HP with very similar specs (including the same spec integrated video) + XP Pro + simcity 4 = fun

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I find it hard to believe Sim City 4 would work well on your HP laptop if it has an 'integrated' GPU. Even now, it is quite a demanding game.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
works really pretty well. of course if i use the largest maps and have a lot going on, it will slow down considerably. but i have the visuals only turned mildly down, not to the bare minimum, and small maps are no problem at all even with really large populations. medium maps can get a little slow at really large pops, but not even remotely unplayable.

additionally the HP doesn't sound like it's going to take off like my macbook does when it strains a bit. ;P

it has got to be a rosetta thing... and the fan thing may be a bit of apple trying to protect the hardware with an overzealous fan ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
civIV is probably playing under rosetta on intel.

that's what makes sim city 4 unbearable even with the graphics turned all the way down.

Civ4 is universal. It's just a really craptastic port.

Reaction score
If you can live with older school games, like Return to Castle Wolfenstein and others in that era, the Macbook plays them effortlessly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
I've previously tried on VMware fusion . It works okay actually. Games like Maplestory/Mabinogi runs fine. Its just abit laggy from time to time. But Well.. Correct me if I'm wrong. VMware splits your RAM/Graphics Card in half. So you'll be running quite slow. Compared to before. I run a 2.5gb Ram on my mac book ( I know its not necessary but I like the speed. ) Comparing to parallels. I cant really do much at all. It lags horribly.

My friend had no problems whatsoever playing Guild Wars on his Macbook ( Bootcamp ) which has only 1gb of ram. I'd try it. But bootcamp is giving me problems with partitioning my HD.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Civ4 is universal. It's just a really craptastic port.

that's too bad then...

these sim-type game makers really need to understand that some of their core audience doesn't buy higher end machines capable of gaming, and design their games to run well under low to average capabilities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.