Mac Pro Boot With Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
I am seriously considering buying a Mac Pro .... If at all possible, I would like to be able to dual boot, with Leopard or Tiger. Is it possible to boot a Mac Pro with Tiger, from an internal HD or external FW HD? If there is no way possible to boot a Mac Pro from Tiger, is there an emulator that will allow me to run most (or all?) of my old apps that I’ve been running on my iBook G4 1Ghz (running Tiger)? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
A new Mac Pro ships with Leopard only. The retail version of Tiger does not work on Intel Macs. From my knowledge of Apple's EULA, the restore discs cannot be resold without the computer so I don't think you could legally pick up a copy of the original Mac Pro's restore discs. Even they, those discs are designed for the original MP and might not work on the new one.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
To elaborate on what Bryphotoguy already said, even if you did manage to procure a legal copy of OS X Tiger for Intel machines, it would not contain the drivers needed for a machine that was released after Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would imagine that it could still work, but as you may have noted in the link, you would need a drive with an existing Tiger installation from an older Mac Pro in order to pull it off. A bit difficult to do if this is going to be your first Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro quad-core 2.66gHz, Leopard, 9gb RAM, one 250gb, two 500gb and three 1tb internal SATA drives
Interesting info

I'm surprised by the comments. I bought my MacPro with Tiger installed. Before installing Leopard, I copied the Macintosh HD drive to a partition on an external drive. After installing Leopard, I copied the drive with Leopard to another external drive partition. Now I can boot to Macintosh HD with Leopard or to either external drive with Tiger or Leopard.

It has been a great thing because I didn't have confidence in Leopard when I bought it. When problems arose, I was able to go back to Tiger to review settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
That's cause yours shipped with Tiger. The new Mac Pro ONLY ships with Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.