Alternate docks for 10.5?

Reaction score
So I'd like to change my dock to something more simple hopefully, for two reasons:

1. 10.5 dock is too 'busy'

2. 10.5 is much slower than 10.4 on my macbook. I'm hoping a simpler dock will help.

Here's a pic of the dock I'm most interested in if anyone knows what it is:

picture-92.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
sweet!! thanks uberlinux!

OP
U
Reaction score
You're welcome!

Anyone else have any speed-up tricks for my dog of a blackbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Apple really should make this option more accessible through Dock preferences. It defaults to this view when the Dock is not on the bottom anyway, so there would not be a whole lot of effort required to do it. The 3D dock just feels awkward for a guy like me that has it hidden all the time. Something that bulky doesn't look nice appearing out of an edge of the screen.

Also, as a speed-up trick, with a Finder window open, go to View > View Options and uncheck "Show icon preview." This will make the list and column views of Finder only show file type icons, not the Quicklook preview of the file. For a slower 5400 RPM hard drive, this can have a very noticeable effect.
Finally, in the Desktop and Screensaver System Preference pane, you can toggle the translucency of the menu bar on and off. I don't know how much of an effect this part would actually have, though maybe some since the MacBook lacks a dedicated video card. If your background is dark enough, it's not even noticeable whether it's on or not most of the time, so why waste your resources having it on?

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks! Those sound like good tips!
I think the reason they make it such a pain is that they are trying to maintain a solid image of 10.5, just like M$ does with windows. Visualize a XP desktop and it's likely the same one in all the ads for PCs with the rolling fields and blue taskbar with green start, now visualize a 10.5 desktop. It's likely the black and purple starry background with the glass bar. I think it's all about furthering a brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Thanks! Those sound like good tips!
I think the reason they make it such a pain is that they are trying to maintain a solid image of 10.5, just like M$ does with windows. Visualize a XP desktop and it's likely the same one in all the ads for PCs with the rolling fields and blue taskbar with green start, now visualize a 10.5 desktop. It's likely the black and purple starry background with the glass bar. I think it's all about furthering a brand.

I suppose there is that, but I think more options are always better... most users don't end up using them anyway. OS X needs to learn to embrace the practice of its Linux cousins and make EVERYTHING accessible and customisable by the user with relatively little work. I want user-made OS X themes installable and activated with the click of a button. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.