USB Port Stopped Working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM
Hi guys I recently purchased an Intel based MacBook. I purchased a IDE to USB drive converter thing assuming I could use it to transfer my files from my old computer to the laptop. Anyways when I hooked it up last night I kept getting messages about the usb device was drawing too much power, which is weird because it had an external power source. Anyways it was saying the port was being disabled. I never did get it to work and now the USB port next to the shift key seems to be dead. I have tried plugging in my mouse, jumpdrive, etc and none of them even seem to be getting power. The other port works just fine. Is my usb port fried or is it just still disabled? I have restarted and tried the command + option + p + r trick but it's still not working :'(

Thanks for any help guys

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi guys I recently purchased an Intel based MacBook. I purchased a IDE to USB drive converter thing assuming I could use it to transfer my files from my old computer to the laptop. Anyways when I hooked it up last night I kept getting messages about the usb device was drawing too much power, which is weird because it had an external power source. Anyways it was saying the port was being disabled. I never did get it to work and now the USB port next to the shift key seems to be dead. I have tried plugging in my mouse, jumpdrive, etc and none of them even seem to be getting power. The other port works just fine. Is my usb port fried or is it just still disabled? I have restarted and tried the command + option + p + r trick but it's still not working :'(

Thanks for any help guys

Some external drives even though self powered, can draw too much current from a USB port. The USB port should have been enabled again if in fact it's OK. Since the machine is new, I suggest you make use of your warranty and take it in to Apple repair and have them look at it.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM
Eh I was hoping I could fix it myself without having to be macless for however long they take but the more I read, the more I'm thinking I will have to send it in to them. It seems to be a pretty common error though... anyone else have this problem? Did apple just send a new laptop?

Reaction score
Someone on another thread (also talking about USB ports on MacBook not working) suggested booting in safe mode (by holding down the shift key when you start), and then restarting again. I tried this when my USB ports (both) stopped working (for mouse, thumbdrive, external) and it worked. I have no idea why it would work (there was a message about 'clearing the boot cache'?), but it did in my case.

Reaction score
I solved my problem (one port closer to the shift key stopped working) by shutting down, removing battery and power plug for 10-15 min and when i startted macbook again both usb ports worked again.

Reaction score
This procedure worked great. Removing the battery for 15 minutes, replacing it and hold down the shift key when rebooting worked like a charm. thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.