Entourage sometimes sends and sometimes doesn't?

Reaction score
Intsalled Entourage on Leopard and it receives mail every time. However, it won't send MOST of the time. That's right most of the time mail won't actually send but once every so often it actually does. But every sent email appears to send fine and goes in to the sent box.

Settings verify fine.

Anyone else with this?

Does the same thing on both tower and laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Do you have one email account that sends fine and another that doesn't? Perhaps this is an outgoing server settings problem which affects a particular account.

I have the following situation...

At home, my ISP (AT&T DSL) requires me to use their outgoing mail server for ALL accounts. However, when using public internet (i.e. at Starbucks) I can not use the AT&T outgoing server for any account other than my AT&T email address. I have to change my outgoing mail settings for my work email depending on whether or not I am at home.

1. If you're using multiple email accounts, try to isolate which one has the problem.

2. Contact your ISP and ask what outgoing mail server settings you should use.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Jaygray.

I have the same isp and dsl as you. The settings are correct (smtp 25, no ssl and no authenticity requirement) because every now and then the mail will actually send. 99 percent of the time it won't.

I just tried configuring another account that I have. It sent mail one time and now it won't send anymore. I've never seen anything like this.

Frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I originally had Bellsouth DSL, which was bought by AT&T. I am required to use mail.bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. I use Entourage 2008. Let me know if you need me to check any additional settings.

See if this page might help. Maybe it's not your exact problem, but it's in the ballpark. http://support.att.net/bellsouth/as...sprt_cid=0088703e-5fa4-4335-9383-8fb8f36e75bd

Edit: Also make sure you are removing the incoming messages from the server once they are downloaded by Entourage. You are given a specified amount of space for messages. If your allocation is completely full, perhaps your outgoing messages are not being transfered onto their server.

OP
J
Reaction score
Good suggestions Jaygray. I've tried every possible setting combination as well as went by the instructions on the link you gave me. I also cleared the server of stored email.

Still nothing.

I've emailed ATT as well. Any more suggestions? I tend to think it must be either the server or Entourage because it's happening on both my computers the same way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do a Google search for "AT&T receive but not send email entourage" or similar, and you'll probably come up with a thousand links to other people with the same problem. One of them has to have posted the solution.

OP
J
Reaction score
OP
J
Reaction score
Hey Jaygray

I think I found the fix!

It took me countless hours to find this guy. Your suggested Google search got me started on the right path but I finally decided to change the ATT to Bellsouth and after about 2 more hours of searching I found this:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7124387

Scroll down to the "withoutink" post and you'll also see my response.

A lot of folks have this problem and it appears few know this incredible simple fix. Thanks again for your concern for my problem.

OP
J
Reaction score
Dammit,

Still doesn't work. It worked 3 times then quit again. Must have just been a coincidence.

I hate bellsouth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.